Worked a deal with coworkers I have 4 days to rifle elk hunt, Ideas?

ajohnson

I worked a deal with some coworkers. Now I have Sat - Tue to hunt
I live in Minnesota and its 14 - 18 hour drive to Montana. I have will be arriving later afternoon Friday. I have elk hunted in MT archery season and was in to elk most every day. I hunted the Gravely range.

I am totally addicted to archery elk but didn't fill my tag. My Sat - Tue hunt is a meat hunt. I am wondering if there is any information out there for an inexperienced rifle elk hunter? I could go back to the Gravely's where I have a small amount of first hand knowledge From Archery Season, or I can go anywhere else. Been Looking at areas in 392 and 391 or the Pioneer Mountains 332 or 331.

I have no scouting time and will need to make it or break it really quick.

I drew the tag and gave it hell in Sept, now what the heck. any marginal advice

With the snow so far this fall and in the forecast, should be easy pickins in those areas. If you can’t find a cow or 5+ point bull in those hills, you won’t find them easier somewhere else. Get away from other hunters or use hunters to your advantage.

Good question! Probably because I am a typical guy and always need to know what is over the next hill!
I also fear the crowds in that area will push them down to private first morning.

With the snow so far this fall and in the forecast, should be easy pickins in those areas. If you can’t find a cow or 5+ point bull in those hills, you won’t find them easier somewhere else. Get away from other hunters or use hunters to your advantage.
Thanks, I get so few days to hunt and this is such a short hunt I want to make the best of it.

Watch for bears. They seem to be on a vendetta against out of staters over there this year.

Watch for bears. They seem to be on a vendetta against out of staters over there this year.
No kidding, My dad talked to a Member of some federal Alphabet agency on the road that was going to the second mauling. At least I have a 300 win mag this time. More comforting than a bow and a revolver.

Back