Woofs?

mtmiller

Missouri River Breaks Elk Surveys Completed

GLASGOW
– Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks biologists completed their surveys of the Missouri River Breaks elk hunting districts (HDs) 621, 622, and 630 in February.

Overall, the surveys indicate that elk numbers are below current population objectives for each respective portion of the Breaks. Appropriate management actions, such as adjusting antlerless B-licenses for this fall, may occur in some districts.

These elk surveys are done on an every-other-year basis in conjunction with bighorn sheep surveys. The surveys for neighboring HDs were flown within similar time periods to minimize any issues with elk movement between HDs.

HD 621 and 622

Statewide deer and elk coordinator Lindsay Parsons surveyed HDs 621 and 622 over six days, from Feb. 17-23, and totaled nearly 23 hours of helicopter flight time. Patchy snow in 621 and the western portion of 622 made for more difficult survey conditions but improved further east in 622 with good snow cover and good observability.

In HD 621, 552 elk were observed, which is 29% below the 2020 survey and 44% below the long-term average of 991. There were 39 bulls per 100 cows, which is below the average of 52 bulls per 100 cows. Also observed were 22 calves per 100 cows, which is well below the average of 46 calves per 100 cows.

For HD 622, a total of 740 elk were observed. This is 39% below the 2020 survey and 39% below the average. There were 88 bulls per 100 cows, which is well above the average of 45 bulls per 100 cows. The calf to cow ratio was 25 calves per 100 cows, which is below the average of 45 calves per 100 cows.

“Fewer bulls were observed in the eastern portion of HD 621 as compared to previous years. This corresponds with more bulls observed just to the east in HD 622,” says Scott Thompson, Region 6 Wildlife Manager. “This suggests a slight change in winter distribution of bulls during this survey.”

In total, 1,292 elk were observed in 621 and 622, a decrease of 35% from the 2020 survey. Elk numbers are below the population objective level of 1,400-1,650 set by the 2005 Montana Elk Management Plan. The calf to cow ratio for this portion of the Missouri River Breaks is 23 calves per 100 cows, which is lower than the average of 45. The ratio of 64 bulls per 100 cows is above the average of 46 and above the Breaks Elk Management Unit objective of 30 bulls per 100 cows.

HD 630

During the 2022-2023 season setting process, the 622/630 hunting district boundary was moved from Timber Creek east to Burke Ranch and Ridge Roads. Hunting districts 630, 631 and 632 were combined into the new HD 630. Survey data was adjusted in years 2014-2020 for hunting districts 622 and 630 to place historic observations in the current hunting district for comparisons.

Biologist Ryan Williamson surveyed HD 630 over two days, from Feb. 22-23, for 13 hours via helicopter. Ground cover varied from patchy to complete snow cover across the district, and animals were easily observable.

In HD 630, 254 elk were observed. This is 14% below the average, and below the objective of the 300-350 elk that is identified in the Elk Management Plan from 2005. There were 55 bulls per 100 cows, below the average of 63 bulls per 100 cows, but still well above the objective of at least 30 bulls per 100 cows. There were 55 calves per 100 cows, which is slightly higher than the average of 54 calves per 100 cows.

Missouri River Breaks overall numbers

In total, 1,546 elk were observed during the 2022 Missouri River Breaks survey in Region 6. This represents a decrease of 35% from the 2020 survey. Elk numbers observed this year for the three HD’s are below the objective level of 1,700 – 2,000, set by the 2005 Montana Elk Management Plan. This is the lowest number of elk observed during the survey in the past 25 years.

“Lower total elk numbers, combined with low calf to cow ratios, will result in FWP recommending a more conservative antlerless harvest this fall,” noted Thompson. “While the 2022 fall hunting season dates and structure including shoulder seasons have been set, we still have an opportunity to adjust antlerless B-licenses in response to lower elk numbers.”

“The recent drought conditions may also be affecting the elk population to some degree,” adds Thompson. “We will keep an eye on elk numbers and continue to adjust license quotas as necessary to correspond with any significant changes in elk populations.”

Works cited.. I’d like to send the original link to a few non HTers but it asks for login info

Thanks for sharing!

In total, 1,546 elk were observed during the 2022 Missouri River Breaks survey in Region 6. This represents a decrease of 35% from the 2020 survey. Elk numbers observed this year for the three HD’s are below the objective level of 1,700 – 2,000, set by the 2005 Montana Elk Management Plan. This is the lowest number of elk observed during the survey in the past 25 years.

Because I don't want to get anyone in trouble I will be vague, but I know of a district that saw a similar plummet in elk over the course of 3 years. 2 years in a row the bio proposed a reduction in take, only to have the bigwigs disagree with their recommendations and overrule them in favor of near-status quo. This year's count showed a greater than 30% drop in 3 years.

If I read what you just shared correctly, they are going to have shoulder seasons in below objective districts?

I read that too...seems to violate some basic rules of the shoulder season procedure.

The commission can step in at any point and change these things right?

This is a perfect example of what happens when wildlife is managed by folks other than wildlife professionals, and also serves as a good example of how quickly elk populations can change and why nimble management is better than legislative or big picture stuff flung to the wall.

Two thoughts…. I would expect to see APR respond to this info by allowing less hunting access for cow elk on their properties in those areas. At least that’s what I would do if I were in their shoes.

These are some of the units where UPOM has been fomenting for increased elk harvest and wanting more either-sex tags.

Why do they want so few elk in the breaks? The populations are about half of what they were about 15 years ago on the north side. They figure there are about 1600 elk in 620, 621, and 622 combined anymore, but they give out approximately 1400 either sex archery permits, around 100 rifle either sex permits, and probably 500 cow tags per year over the last several years. There is a lot of good elk habit in there. I understand the social tolerance issues, but damn!

When it comes to decreasing tags I’ve been told, “we aren’t into knee jerk reactions”. This was what I was told when I thought we should decrease doe tags after the bad winters around 10-11. Several years later they finally decreased them.

Why do they want so few elk in the breaks? The populations are about half of what they were about 15 years ago on the north side. They figure there are about 1600 elk in 620, 621, and 622 combined anymore, but they give out approximately 1400 either sex archery permits, around 100 rifle either sex permits, and probably 500 cow tags per year over the last several years. There is a lot of good elk habit in there. I understand the social tolerance issues, but damn!
Elk are now treated as equals to the mule deer in Montana , they are nothing but pests and rodents. As long as there is still a few alive FWP will advocate for Opportunity . #cwdcantkillthemiftheiralldead#

Another random thought. Can you guys even imagine what hunting in general areas would be like if we had bull to cow ratios like those units instead of the 10-15/100 that we currently have?

#opportunity

Does anyone know if flyover surveys are ever conducted on general units and where that info can be found?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back