Wolves

I'm north of the Apache forest and from here around Quemado/Pie Town to Magdelena,north to Fence Lake. From here south & west for sure.
I've seen 2 within 5 miles of my place and found tracks here.
Most of the Gila country has wolves now. Seen a dozen or so there.
Interesting, thanks for the reply. I wonder if they make it north past Albuquerque or not. Wolves from CO may come south towards Chama/TA area first. Who knows.

Well one was shot by NMG&F near Grants and they have been sighted in Sevilletta reserve along the Rio Grande,2 years ago.

Hank in what part of NM are the wolves most often seen? No reason, I'm just curious
SW NM , the Gila is where most are, they say.

A female with pups have been filmed north of US40 & east of US25, way outside of the range they wanted to keep them in.
I have heard of half dozen north of 40. This is the farthest east they have been seen, so far.

Find it entertaining how major HT players here discuss how f-kd Wildlife management elk, etc counts are in certain States yet, people question the f-kd counts of wolves and suddenly the quotable comments regarding wildlife counts fades into the adyss....................

Regarding wolves, NM/AZ/CO: Randy's comment during a podcast - something about Colorado, the Titanic, and watching the iceberg - full speed ahead!

There are dedicated wolf biologists in most of the FWP regions in Montana that are generally considered wolf territory. If you call your regional office they should be able to connect you to them, and I imagine they would best be able to answer your questions.

I have worked with several of them and they were all very dedicated to their job and were not anti wolf hunting or trapping that I could tell. I even got some good advice on landowners to contact for wolf hunting access.

I spoke with the region 2 wolf biologist a couple months ago and he was still putting out traps to catch and collar wolves. They would like to have at least one wolf in each pack collared and ideally have multiple collars in a pack. The info gathered from the collars is not only used for understanding how many wolves are in an area, but are also used to determine which wolves are causing depredation and other issues. This info is often passed along to Wildlife Services and landowners that are having wolf problems so that the guilty wolves can be eliminated.

I used to work for a helicopter company that specialized in wildlife capture and we typically caught 10-20 wolves each winter for FWP. These wolf captures were typically fit in amongst our other elk, deer, sheep, etc projects when convenient as FWP had less funding available for wolf management and thus paid less for our services.

These are some wolves we caught, sampled, weighed and collared in SW Montana a few years ago. One of these was killed by Wildlife Services a week later for killing a calf using the collar data.
View attachment 178853

View attachment 178854

View attachment 178855

View attachment 178856

View attachment 178857
All looks to be in the same general area… honey-holes??????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back