Caribou Gear

Wolves vs Mountain Lions

There's some good research on lion vs wolves being done recently as well as general lion ecology. I just watched a video of a lion and wolf squaring off. Makes me hope I get a wolf soon and do them together.

Gee, didnt see this one coming.

Korinna Domingo, the founder and director of the Cougar Conservancy, who was not involved in this study, suggests that wildlife managers should pause mountain lion hunting or reduce the quota in areas where wolves are moving back into the ecosystem. Doing so will allow the cats to deal with one major threat at a time instead of trying to evade both hunters and wolves simultaneously. "That needs to be a very serious consideration," she says.

The area I hunt here, 5 of the last 6 years, I've seen a bunch of cat tracks. This year I saw my first wolf sign when one ran a calf elk past me at about 50 yards and killed it at about 100. The wolves stayed in that area for several days, as did the Elk, but this year I never saw a cat track. They were noticeably absent.

Are wolves ultimately going to benefit wild sheep by killing the lions that are their main predator?

Agreed. I also think hunting mortality, from houndsmen anyways, is pretty low. Most hound guys I know kill very, very few lions
Do you guys have a lot of hound hunters up there? We used to have a lot of hound hunters around here for coyotes and coons but it seems to be a dying thing Around here we don’t have near the amount of people doing it we used to

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back