Wolves strike again in the yaak river area(GRAPHIC PICS)

montanadogs

Just what we need ---- More Wolves ...
I just got this email and pics from a friend of mine. The story is a bit long, but it sets the stage for the pics. GRAPHIC PICS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have not posted anything about lion hunting for awhile. I just finished my first semester of college at the University of Montana where I am studying wildlife biology. I got home for winter break and have been able to get out quite a bit lately. My friends and I have treed several lions and we have taken two.

Yesterday my friend and mentor Mel invited me to go with him and another fellow named Jay who has two young dogs and a tag for our area. At about 6am we headed up into the Yaak area of northwest Montana. At about 2pm Jay found a track so he turned out his two dogs (Top & Lilly) and I also turned out my two (Elvis & Earl). They took off through the woods but they lost the track where the cat had crossed the Yaak River and had then doubled back across again. Mel and Jay walked downstream to gather dogs and look for the track while I was searching the far bank. We eventually lined out the track and put the dogs back on it. It was tough going so Mel put in his two good dogs (Brody & Fancy). The cat had made a third river crossing and the dogs were now on a fairly fresh trail. Since part of our plan was to get Jay’s dogs Top and Lilly some experience we grabbed Earl and Fancy and put them back in the rig.
At this point we had four dogs heading up over the mountain. We drove about 2 miles up a nearby road to try and close some of the distance. We finally got bogged down in very heavy snow and the Garmin Astro collars were saying that the dogs were still about a mile above us and that they were treeing. We headed up on snowshoes but the going was VERY difficult due to deep snow and thick alder brush. It took about 90 minutes to hike to where the dogs were supposed to be.
As we were hiking we saw on the receiver that Jays dog Lilly was running. Since she is young he just thought that she was running a back trail. As we continued to get closer we could still not hear the dogs. At about 500 yards the astro showed that the dogs were still treeing but since we could not hear anything we became concerned that the system was not working right. As we got close we had to get out our lights as the sun had set and we could no longer see. We hiked on and soon the screen showed that the dogs should be right in front of us at about 50 yards. Eerily there was absolutely no sound in the woods. We found the tree surrounded by tracks where they had put up the lion. We immediately began calling out for the dogs. Jay saw some blood by the tree and we assumed that a dog must have cut a pad.
Jay started shining his light down the hill and saw two eyes shining about 30 yards away. He started that direction and seconds later we heard him start yelling. Mel and I ran down to where he was and saw something no houndsman ever wants to see. There in the snow surrounded by blood were two dead dogs.
I instantly thought that one of them was my good dog Elvis. My heart was pounding as I got closer. When we got to them we had to check the collar since part of his head was gone. We ultimately discovered that it was Mel’s dog Brody and Jays dog Top. I could not find Elvis anywhere. I could only imagine that the same thing had happened to him and that he was lying in the brush nearby.
As we tried to get over the shock of it all we slowly pieced together what had happened. It became very apparent that a pack of wolves had attacked our hounds as they were baying at the tree. Brody and Top had been killed instantly at the tree and then drug about 30 yards away where the wolves had started to feed on them. The eyes Jay had seen were those of a wolf eating our dogs.
Lilly had obviously run away when the attack occurred but there was still no sign of Elvis.
We were all sick about what had just happened but we needed to get down the mountain and try and find Lilly and hopefully Elvis. It was as tough going down as it had been climbing up, and when I broke a strap on my snowshoe I didn’t think things could get any worse.
I have hunted these mountains many times but I have never experienced fear like I did on that hike. The thought of the wolves behind us, the dogs that had just been killed and of the two that we could not find were about all I could handle. With broken snowshoes I had to “posthole” most of the way back to the truck.
We finally got back to the trucks and our missing dogs were not there. Before we got out of that deep snow we had to winch ourselves out about five times. It was getting very late and I was both mentally and physically exhausted by the time we got back to the paved road.
We were due for some good luck and right then the collars for Lilly and Elvis lit up the screen and appeared to be about 1 mile ahead of us on the main road. As we got close I could see Lilly by the guardrail so I jumped out to grab her and began yelling for Elvis.
I immediately heard barking down below us by the river. I jumped the railing and began calling to him. With my flashlight I could see Elvis and he appeared to be lying in the ice on the bank. As I got closer I realized that he was actually in the water and was too exhausted to pull himself up on to the edge of the ice. I was able to reach out to him and pull him to safety. I don’t know how long he had been there but he was shaking so bad I did not know if he would survive. We warmed him up in the truck as we headed for home which was still an hour away on icy roads.

As I write this, Elvis is still so stiff and sore that he can hardly walk but since he is not yet 3 years old he is plenty strong and will be back on the trail soon. I have no idea how he was able to escape the wolf attack and near freezing to death in a river. All I know is that I am very fortunate to have gotten him back.
I have not talked to Jay yet this morning but he had put so much time and energy into training Top I can only imagine how crushed he is. I talked to Mel and he is very frustrated, not just because he lost a great dog but also because he called a local game biologist who told him that our dogs were killed not 500 yards from a known denning site. According to the biologist they don’t publicize information like that because people might disrupt the wolves.

R..I.P. Brody and Top, I hope the hunting is good up there in heaven

Attachments

• dogwolf1.jpg
    dogwolf1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 5,538
  • dogwolf2.jpg
    dogwolf2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 11,862
  • dogwolf3.jpg
    dogwolf3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 20,677
I'm sorry to hear that. That is to bad. I read a story on the internet about that earlier this year where a pack of wolves wiped out a group of lion dogs. It was in Wyoming. Glad the other two dogs are ok.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the dogs, it's a damn shame. Wolf quota's need to be increased for this coming fall in Montana

Sorry to hear about the loss of the dogs, it's a damn shame. Wolf quota's need to be increased for this coming fall in Montana

How is montana coming on the wolf quota? Here in Idaho we are at 151 with 69 more that need to go.

Montana filled it's quota in 3 weeks. Although the numbers killed were half that of Idaho. There has been a lot of wolves killed that got into trouble. I know the total kill for the year is over 200.

Lions kill dogs too, but not nearly as many as are taken out by cars I suspect.

Needs to be more liberal wolf management, but a couple pictures of dead dogs doesn't better prove that point.

I got those pictures by email at least 10 times in the last 3 months.

My granddad ran wolves and coyotes with wolfhounds here in the Bitterroot in the 20's and 30's. He used greyhounds to chase the animals, the wolfhounds followed. They are slow on the move. They would show up after the hounds had the animal bayed and kill it. Mostly they chased singles. Never a pack. Wolf hounds can get big. Ugly mothers though, and they leave really big presto logs in the yard.

So sorry to hear about your dogs. That is a terrible loss. I can't even imagine losing my dogs that way.

I have heard of Rhodesian Ridgebacks being used also. I know that is the only dog that was successfully able to bay up African Lions by the old English hunters. (without being killed, that is) Ridgebacks are very large, fast and agile. I have also heard they are great on bear. (too big of a food bill for me)

No, no, no,...all you need to do is run some mutts with your dogs that have some nasty canine diseases. When the wolves catch your dogs they will catch what the dogs have and share it with the rest of the stinking pack. As long as your good dogs are vaccinated and faster then the mutts things should look a lot better the next year.

I'd rather just sit on a kill and just pop them as they come in. I know were I'm going next year to fill my wolf tag. I might just bring in a bitch in heat to help attract them. And to think that F&G said that there were no wolves in that area 5 years ago.!!!!!! I find it hard to believe, the pack up there is pretty strong.

How well do Irish wolf hounds run lions? Chit maybe I'll renew an age old past time.

I just got done talking with a houndsman with friends in ID that SUPPOSEDLY have irish wolfhounds that they run with their lion hounds, they say it has had some scrapes with wolves and done well. All 2nd or 3rd hand info. If its true, I don't know how they found some real hunting lines, I imagine most have had anything worthwhile hunting-wise bred out of them over these years.

It was all news to me, I always heard the IWH didn't fair any better than any other dog when it came to the gray wolf.

I have a lion tag, but its for the district I get all my wolf pics in, my friend is a very good houndsman and wants to go, but I just can't have his dogs get whacked by these critters trying to get me a tom. I have tried calling up there, but no dice.

I just drove up and checked my cams.
And the usual bunch, although I only had them at one location this time.
download079.jpg

download078.jpg

Sorry about your dogs guys. As a houndsman myself i know what it like to lose dogs. we need to get rid of the wolves. there is a reason they were shot out in the past.

Sorry about your dogs guys. As a houndsman myself i know what it like to lose dogs. we need to get rid of the wolves. there is a reason they were shot out in the past.

Why? Why even state something that's not going to happen. There was also a reason Bison, Elk, deer, Antelope, Grizzly bear, etc. were all shot. Does it make it right? The wolf is here to stay. Learn to live with them or suffer dead dogs. Your not going to turn the clock back. I run hounds some, when I do, the dogs are on a lease with me until the trail is looking really fresh. Even then this same thing might happen. Just do what you can and except the risks of doing business.

THey don't need to be exterminated, they need to be managed like every other species in MT. My wolf objective # may vary from someone elses but regardless, the fact is, there needs to be a lot less. Western MT whitetail hunting will never be the same if something doesn't happen really fast. Went out the other night trying to call wolves. In a night we typically would have seen 100-150 deer easily, we saw 2. And one wolf.

Do we need to get rid of wolves? I don't think so. We do need to manage them better, but then again I believe that is why ID and MT opened up a season for them. I do however think that the number of tags needs to go up. I posted this because I thought it was something that everyone needs to be aware of while out with you dogs. The thing that makes this situation suck is that they talked to F&G before going out, they didn't tell them about the denning site in the area. They told them that wolves were known to frequent the area. They could of gave them a heads up about the denning site. Might of advoided the area. Hell who knows; maybe the cat knew that they were there and did it out of spite. If it had been the lion that got ahold of them then there would be no story like this.

I know one group of friend that were out running a cat up the East fork of the root. One dog ran full steam ahead into a snare, died before the group could catch up. There's many dangers for you and your dogs when out running cats or whatever. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Back