PEAX Equipment

Wolves rarely attack humans, but encounters with aggressive wolves are not uncommon in the Upper Midwest.

Not something I think about in wolf country. I was face to face with one, 7yards distance while spring bear hunting. It hopped onto the closed gated road I was walking. Windy enough to apparently block noise and presto, s/he hopped onto the road directly in front of me.
We starred at each other for what felt forever though it was likely a few seconds. I slowly reached for my phone in my bino chest case and off s/he went down the road some 20 yards and up the hill on the other side of the road. Amazing experience! And as a LEO myself, not a stitch on concern otherwise it would have been a draw to my handgun.

Flipside, on my way out with the wolf howling and barking @ me as I continued, my gun was in my hand. Haha!

However, one incident was extremely late, maybe close to midnight, in the Great Bear wilderness area of the Bob, I had wolves doing quick barks from multiple directions of my position. From my perspective, I felt they were triangularly communicating / positioning where I was. Headlamp fading, that was spooky!
Nothing ever happened as I made my way back to camp.

Another, my partner and I were archery hunting south of Philipsburg, MT along the Sapphire Wilderness. Open park with our elk decoys, us with cow wizz on our boots, multiple wolves began howling from two separate locations. I wanted to stay and see if we could pop one. My partner figured elk blown out, wolves focused on our setting / decoys, - he wanted to head out.
We did so though having myself smelling of cow wizz with a cow decoy strapped to my pack, cow decoy head visible the way it packed, I almost put 9 rounds of .40 into a grouse that boomed out of the brush!!!

Haha! Buddy still gives me shit over that. We laughed afterwards however I practically shit myself!

Reality, rare occurrences, though they certainly have happened!

*edit added: phone google loves to change correctly spelled words. It believes it knows the word I intended versus the correctly spelled word I used. Haha!

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back