Wolves in Montana deer unit 302?

andyrowland

A buddy and I just put in for our first ever western hunt of any kind and applied for Montana's 2016 mule deer season. Unless there is a drastic increase in nonresident hunter applications, we will be stomping around unit 302 next October/November.

Would it be worth my money to put in for a wolf tag as well? I think the likelihood of both of us filling our mule deer tags is pretty slim considering we don't know what we're doing so there isn't going to be any time to specifically target wolves. My buddy has zero interest in taking a wolf but he didn't grow up on a cattle farm killing coyotes like I did. I would love to take one, but will only have the opportunity if one just happens to walk in front of us while trying to find a mule deer.

So, should I spend the money for a wolf tag? Is there a deadline for applying for a wolf tag? I spent most of my time researching the mule deer tag process. Are there any other tags I should consider getting as "opportunity tags"? I guess I could get a whitetail doe tag for about $80, but we kill as many of those as we want at home in Alabama every year.

Thanks for your input!

When I lived in Butte, I used to chase wolves around in Medicine Lodge and a bit in upper Big Sheep cr. or whatever its called.

The newspaper had an article about a rancher losing some sheep. I called and asked if I could hunt, and they let me. (wolves only, unfortunately)
I never actually seen a wolf down there, but we were hot on them one morning. They were howling like crazy about an hour before light and I found their fresh tracks. 4 of them

Get a wolf tag. You probably won't see a trace of a wolf, but you'll never forgive yourself if you see one without a tag.

Buy a wolf tag there are wolves in the area. Help the elk

When I lived in Butte, I used to chase wolves around in Medicine Lodge and a bit in upper Big Sheep cr. or whatever its called.

The newspaper had an article about a rancher losing some sheep. I called and asked if I could hunt, and they let me. (wolves only, unfortunately)
I never actually seen a wolf down there, but we were hot on them one morning. They were howling like crazy about an hour before light and I found their fresh tracks. 4 of them

Get a wolf tag. You probably won't see a trace of a wolf, but you'll never forgive yourself if you see one without a tag.

When I lived in butte I used to chase elk and wolves in the same area

If you want to hunt Mule Deer in 302, you need to apply for the Mule Deer Permit on top of the general tag to shoot a buck there. Good news is if you put in for the permit you will get it because its unlimited.

There should be wolves there but i think you have a better chance of running into one on the other side of the 15.

Pretty sure I read somewhere here on HT that 302 is now a general unit, no permit required. mtmuley

Whether or not 302 requires a permit was quite puzzling to us first timers. If you look at the map in the nonresident application packet, it shows 302 as requiring a permit. If you look at the table titled "Permit Drawing Opportunities", it shows a bunch of blacked out text where 302 should be.

Ultimately, the 2016 Deer Elk and Antelope Regulations are what we relied on. On page 44 and 45 under "HD 302 Tendoys", it says nothing about a deer permit. Hopefully, the regulations are correct. We will definitely print them out and bring them with us, just in case.

So, if I want to get a wolf hunting license along with my deer combination, could I get it for $50? Did I pay for the conservation license and the hunting access enhancement fee when I got the combination?

Thanks

For 2016 district 302 is open to any hunter with a general deer license t for either-sex mule deer hunting

Whether or not 302 requires a permit was quite puzzling to us first timers. If you look at the map in the nonresident application packet, it shows 302 as requiring a permit. If you look at the table titled "Permit Drawing Opportunities", it shows a bunch of blacked out text where 302 should be.

Ultimately, the 2016 Deer Elk and Antelope Regulations are what we relied on. On page 44 and 45 under "HD 302 Tendoys", it says nothing about a deer permit. Hopefully, the regulations are correct. We will definitely print them out and bring them with us, just in case.

So, if I want to get a wolf hunting license along with my deer combination, could I get it for $50? Did I pay for the conservation license and the hunting access enhancement fee when I got the combination?

Thanks
Yes to the conservation and hunting access that was paid for in your app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back