Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wolves and record harvest???

Oak,
Your right is apples and oranges, I was just trying to point out the fact that predators can knock out a population of ungalates. I hope you folks never have this problem. I hope that the DNR's in the lower 48 learn from our problem. Open up hunting seasons and keep them in check.

Unofficially its an open season year round, if you ask the locals in rural areas
wink.gif
Officially its pretty much fall through winter. Yes caribou do migrate but they get hit just as hard. There numbers dont drop as fast because of the size of the herds.

I wish the state would autherize the use of night vision. Pop a caribou and sit over the gut pile at night. Oh yeah easy way to knock a few off. You can hear them but just cant see them.

I'm not too familiar with the way it works up there. So you can locate wolves from the air, but you can't shoot them from the air, is that right? What about snowmobiles?

Oak

As cool as it sounds Colorado Oak.. You can't shoot snowmobiles either
wink.gif

So this Use of Night vision, Whats the odds of being caught ?!?!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oak,
you can cannot shoot wolves from the air. I'm not sure about snowmachines (I dont have 1 so I havent really looked into it). Except for caribou in the middle of winter there is no same day airborne hunting as far as I know of.

Oscar as far NVG's go, with my luck I'll get caught
mad.gif
You heard the stories of how the troopers are canvassing camps up here now, to me its not worth it, although to drop the numbers, I'll let you wear them
biggrin.gif

Oh and oak, if you want to shoot your snowmachine, theres no law against that, if you shoot somebody elses, make sure he doesnt have a gun
biggrin.gif

LOL. I wasn't really thinking of shooting from the snowmachines, just thinking that they would be a good way to get around, without the logistics of finding a place to land and then hiking to where the wolves are. I've never been there, so I guess I might not have a clear picture in my mind. Just rambling...

Oak

Good point, TB (did I just say that?
eek.gif
). Then I guess the only other solution I see is letting them eat all the moose and then starve to dead.
smile.gif

Oak

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back