With seconds to spare

Chad Gus

As the title suggests, i took the Wisconsin archery season down to the last minute of the last day. The day started out with my step-daughter asking for money, so her and cousin could go get there nails done. After a long rambling dissertation about fiscal responsibility and budgeting her money, she went back to her room sulking and pouting. Well, after a couple minutes i sent her text, grab my wallet off the counter and bring it to me. Where i proceed to give her the 67$ i had in there, with the instructions, you best bring me home a Dr.Pepper. It gets to be around noon, so i might as well watch America's team play football, (the real one, not the self-proclaimed one). By the 4th quarter i figure i better start getting my shit together to go bowhunting, it's a balmy -2, so i grab an extra layer. I wake the wife up, cuz football puts her to sleep and tell her I'm heading out to go hunting. I head out to my uncle's land, it's just a little over a mile down the road. He's got a 4 acre bean field in the middle of his woods, and the neighbors just took there corn off 5 days ago. The deer have been bouncing back and forth between these two fields and i have a blind setup on the corner of my uncle's bean field. I get all tucked into my blind and check my phone to see what shooting hours are, 4:57 it tells me. Around 4, two nub bucks come and feed in front of me for about 15 minutes before the get nervous and take off. 20 minutes goes by and i see some deer off in the distance, headed my way, i get myself situated anticipating a potential shot. 6 does and fawns eventually make it to me and are feeding in front of me, i check my phone, 10 minutes to go, i hold off shooting, I'm gonna give it a few more minutes before i shoot a doe. A few minutes go by and i see another deer coming, this one is a buck, it's a spike, then another spike behind him, i watch for a bit, look at my phone 2 minutes to go. Now i clip my release on my string, just as soon as one of those does, gives me a shot in gonna take it, I'm starting to draw back when i hear some crunching in the snow behind me. I hold up, whatever it is, is starting to trot towards me, it passes by my blind at 10 feet, i glance up real quick, nice buck, i draw back, it clears the one tree in front of me and i shoot. 12 yards quartering away, arrow buries behind the last rib and he kicks and takes off into the neighbors. I sit there a second, text my wife i got one, then proceed to pack up my things and go look for blood, 100 or so yards later i find him. 20220109_185455.jpg20220110_073439.jpg
He's far from the biggest buck on our farm, but i was pumped to get him, especially after the fall I've had. Yes, the wife put her contact info as Best Person Ever. Yes, i wear an orange hat bowhunting, the deer, they just don't care about your hat color and i think it accentuates my complexion in pictures

Last edited:
Way to finish it out! My son shot a doe with 1.5 minutes to spare this last season! I was sitting in my stand reflecting on the season. Then Bang! ahhhh, now I gotta deal with a deer!

By a nose! Congratulations on sticking with it and getting one. How're you healing from the fall?

By a nose! Congratulations on sticking with it and getting one. How're you healing from the fall?
Ok, i guess. Still get pretty sore in the lower left side of my back, up to a mile on the treadmill before i have to stop. Starting to do some lifting to strengthen my back, should be back to somewhat normal in a month or two

Great job, gussy- I figured yesterday would be a good day (I’m in WI too).

I went for a hike yesterday afternoon and saw several does on their feet in daylight, seems like the really cold days are the best for movement before dark. Way to hang in there to the end!

Great job, gussy- I figured yesterday would be a good day (I’m in WI too).

I went for a hike yesterday afternoon and saw several does on their feet in daylight, seems like the really cold days are the best for movement before dark. Way to hang in there to the end!
I seen 17 deer total, 5 of which were bucks. Late season is my favorite time to hunt deer here in Wisconsin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back