Wisconsin Wolf Hunt

birddog32

Judge in Dane county has issued temporary injunction against the use of dogs in Wisconsins first wolf hunt. DNR claims no time to revise rules in time for scheduled Oct 15th opening. Sounds like we might not get to take out any of these critters this year. :(

Do you use the dogs to run them like mountain lions, or to help antagonize while calling like they do while coyote hunting?

Just curious.

I was curious about that myself. Either way it would be interesting to see how it works

Not like Randy's wife's poodle. A friend said the guys he knows say one lone wolf will run like a coyote. I just bought a chance to get a tag with a lot of luck.

Its because the anti's are claiming hunters adopt dogs to use as "wolf bait" and several other excuses
http://http://protectwhatsright.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/antis-claim-hunters-use-dogs-as-bait-for-wolves/

It's true, they are called "Donor Dogs" or "Discard Dogs". Go to the local pet shelter and pick out the yappiest little rat dog you can find. Haul it out into the woods and tie it up. Walk away just far enough to see it for a clear shot but far enough for it to feel abandoned and start whining and barking. Shoot the wolves that come to attack it. Shoot well or your gonna be short someones unwanted pet. Hence the name of the "bait".

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience doing this. I do know that this is how some wolves were killed in the past.

no experience at all using hounds for wolves. Have been with friends who use them for coyotes.

By the way from my "group" of friends I have not heard of anyone that planned on running their hounds on wolves and have not heard of anyone that planned on getting a yappy dog as bait.

From the people that I've heard that applied for tag it is more or less a target of opportunity type tag. Previously the northern part of the state was closed to coyote hunting during our 9 day deer rifle season, so that no wolves would be accidently shot.

Just seems a shame to kabosh the whole hunt due to badly worded regulations. Even though state law exempts hunting, fishing, and trapping from anti-cruelty laws.

The judge needs to make them provide some proof of these rediculous allegations, and if they cannot by the planned start date of the hunt the lawsuit needs to be thrown out. Easy fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back