Wisconsin Rifle Season

The rut might be pretty good coming up. Even the muzzy hunt should have some rutting since the first round of estrus does was pretty late it seems. between hunting feedback and road kill it is about 10 days later in the season. If you can find an area not trampled by the pumpkin patch you might be surprised what you will see. many many times I have seen more bucks the second weekend of rifle than the first.

agree. We seem to do fairly well later in the week in WI. I can’t recall ever shooting a deer on opening day. Not a Buck anyway. I shot one about 10min in when we had “earn-a-Buck” in Ashland co.

I used to get super amped up about opener, not so much any more. I will be hunting tomorrow, Dunn Co., but not what it used to be for sure. Lots of big buck on camera, will see what falls tomorrow.

I think part of the change in the hunt is a lot of the older hunters are gone. I remember when I started hunting 40 years ago, wow, that is strange typing that, 40 years, anyway, my dad would say you see a deer you shoot it. Not that many around back then. Now with the explosion of the population I think, and hope, that more people are waiting for that "good shot" and not just giving every deer they see all 5 shots. Aside from one set of my neighbors that is the case around me now. They were/are bird hunters so every deer seems to get 3 shots....

Good luck tomorrow everyone, and be safe
This poor guy ran down the hill at 2pm opening day and stopped at 80 yards in one of my good openings, stood broadside just a moment too long and let me put 180gn through his chest cavity. Stumbled down the hill 30 yards and did a Snoopy Slide. From the time I heard him coming down the hill to the end of his Snoopy Slide was less than 15 seconds, some things happen fast. Here he was a few days earlier on cam.

Attachments

• 20201121_142312.jpg
    20201121_142312.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20201121-201319_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201121-201319_Gallery.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 8
I have land in Southern Door County and the neighbor guy sent me a picture of these sheds found 2 fields over. I can’t wait for hunting season, knowing that he made it through last year.

Attachments

• C2E98609-CAA3-47DE-9F61-AA9066022A5C.jpeg
    C2E98609-CAA3-47DE-9F61-AA9066022A5C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back