Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wirehair pup vs montana Phesant,,,,

300stw

little short hunt for us this morning, 20 below zero when we left the house at 8am,,,,,

this white female is 4.5 months old, shes getting really birdy and howls like crazy when i leave without her, left the big dogs at home this am.

theres a rooster in the pic she is pointing
some birds we had to kick to get them to fly others running like a racehorse across the frozen snow pack, i think the birds are in for a tuff winter i i think we will see a big winter kill,

the roosters this am had pretty skinny breasts on them, no yellow fat,,,,,

anyway, couple pics and me and the pup gonna huddle up in the chair with a blanket, probably not gonna spoil her,,

Attachments

• 2016-12-15_11-42-37_283.jpg
    2016-12-15_11-42-37_283.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 530
  • 2016-12-17_10-11-26_761.jpg
    2016-12-17_10-11-26_761.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 521
Looks like a fun day in the cold. How did the pup's feet do in the ice encrusted snow?

Last edited:
Hope your wrong on winterkill.....actually been a pretty mild fall up until first week of December. The NE didn't receive the snow a lot of Montana did this past week, but we have not escaped the cold. Cold is forecast to move out as soon as Monday in NE Montana, however there will be wind they are saying. I will be out chasing them next few days, I will let you know what we are seeing up here in NE Montana.

i live near culbertson mt,,,, i see the birds grouped up in big bunches in the tree rows and out trying to dig thru the snow for grain,,,, warm temps next week will put some real crust on top of the snow,,, the sharptails are in the russian olives looking like robbins, not really scared, they must know its not fair to shoot one out of a tree when you have pointer's

20-30 minutes at a time for the pup then to the truck for some heat and pick ice from between her toes,,,,

OK I'll be the STUPID one to ask. I own Wirehaired Griffons and German Shorthairs. That looks like a Shorthair??? As a DVM I've seen lots of wirehairs and that coat looks short. Is that just the nature of the pups coat. Hope that I did not offend by asking... just wondering.

good luck to all
the dog

not offended, her coat is going to be on the short side,longer then any shorthair i have had and medium soft, she has about 1/2in long furnishings on her ears and getting some whiskers and rougher hair down her back, i have 3 females and a male, i have selected dogs for shorter coats, temperment and prey drive,

personally i dont care for the longer hair, i have seen wirehairs have the shortest shorthair coats with no furnishings to so much hair i cant find the dog,,, this is our breeding program, we test a lot of the pups at navhda as well as hips and thyroids, we dont keep very many for breeding stock, i do have high hopes for this female, i like the white dogs,

shes going out today for more bird contacts, gonna be 10-15 degrees above zero today,,,,

I joke to people that a short-haired snuck in to the kennel where we purchased our Wirehair. He is legit and confuses most dog enthusiasts.

Attachments

• wet dog.jpg
    wet dog.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 401
Good looking pup. Heck of a good job for a youngster. He is going to be a "hunting machine"
Lately it's been a bit to cold for me to hunt. Looks good for next week.
Most of the snow has missed the basin, pheasants are staying close to the heavy cover. The warming trend is here on time, I think.

How is the bird hunting in general this year up Culbertson way? Not just with the cold, but in general this year. I really like that town. Its kind of a quaint rural town. Nothing run down like some small towns in rural areas. I need to get up there and do a long weekend hunting. A friend's in laws have a place they'll let me hunt.

seems we had average pheasant numbers, above ave for sharptails and huns, lots more hunters than I have seen in 10 years though,,, its easy to see and count birds right now, not so easy to hunt them,,,

Took off this morning for an afternoon hunt north of Culbertson 1/2 hour. Windy, snow blowing, but not too bad. Ditches are full of snow, like is usual this time of year, most stubble fields aren't to bad, seen worse this time of year. Birds have bunched up around Russian olives and other trees, was tough getting close to them with all the birds and then the wind making them really wild. Managed a couple. Will be out a few more times this year yet. I also hunt with a GWP, he is 1 1/2 yo, and a Large Munsterlander,LM, just 9 months old, Owned GWP's for quite awhile, second LM. People Ive spoken with say hunter #'s were down quite a bit from previous years, I hunt all private ground, so I can't say how BM is or waterfowl production areas.

I,m going to take a few days next week to hunt pheasants here and there. A day or two at Medicine lake. I was North of Culbertson for the opening weekend. [like forever] I agree, hunter numbers were down, still very crowded. Lots of the good grass is gone, fewer hunters but concentrated. Good cover with public access was pounded over and over.

How is the bird hunting in general this year up Culbertson way? Not just with the cold, but in general this year. I really like that town. Its kind of a quaint rural town. Nothing run down like some small towns in rural areas. I need to get up there and do a long weekend hunting. A friend's in laws have a place they'll let me hunt.

Agree with 300stw on bird numbers in our neck of the woods. Shrinking crp has concentrated both birds and hunters in the far NE corner of the state. Overall my experience based on talking to hunters was that upland hunter numbers were high, though a lot of people skipped opening weekend and came a week later for some reason. Waterfowl hunters were down given the really slow migration this year.

Glad someone's still out getting after it. My season is over since we are visiting family for the holidays. I'm also seeing signs that it might be a tough winter for birds. Have seen very few around the yard since the snow, and the dog caught a rooster next to the garage the morning we were leaving. It was really emaciated and could barely fly. Hopefully we won't have a replay of 2012. Lots of dead birds when the drifts melted in the spring.

Hunting Wife- What causing the shrinking of CRP acres? Commodity prices? Contract prices upon re-enrollment? We see very little whole field CRP here in IN, especially for grass. A few small fields will be in trees through CRP as it pays a bit better and is a longer contract. CRP prices just aren't close enough to what they can make on grain or even ag-leasing. Lots of filter strips, grassed waterways, etc, as that fits in better with the operations here.

Back