Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Winter Project

IndyJay

Any recommendations for a short action, 25 cal. round? Looking to make up a lightweight rig suitable for coyotes through caribou... if such a cartridge exists...

I know you've got an idea Dan!

Thanks,

Short action caliber in 25..?? How about the 250 Savage Improved? According to PO Ackley, that cartridge gains more in performance than any of the rest.

If it were me, I would opt for the 260 Remington Improved. With the right barrel, you can make significant performance gains. There is also a round called a 260 AAR. It would be a difficult thing to get that in a short action though. It's essentially a 6.5X55 Swede Improved. Then there is always the 6.5X300 WSM.... I know someone who has one of those.......:D;)

I would use at least a .264 diameter bullet on Bou..

:cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-07-2002 06:40: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

25-284. Basically a 25/06 in a short action. Or you could bug jude about the 25/300 WSM that he built.

Indyjay, The 25 WSM isn't a bad choice. I have done some testing and have gotton better velocity than what is published with the .257 Weatherby Mag using IMR 7828. (Although I have a lot more testing to do with a few more powders). It should be good for anything in North America using the 120gr. Partion except Bear.

Just my .05,

Jude;)

Dan,
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Short action caliber in 25..?? How about the 250 Savage Improved? According to PO Ackley, that cartridge gains more in performance than any of the rest.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think P.O. Ackley made that statement about the .257 Roberts Improved.

Volume 1, page 337.

Jude;)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-09-2002 17:55: Message edited by: JudeinPa ]</font>

Jude, We've talked about this before,, I'll quote the same sentence I quoted last time.. I have a hard bound copy in front of me so the page number will be different, but it is just in front of the standard 257 Roberts.

" This is one of the best of the so called Improved cartridges. It shows a greater percentage of increase in velocity than almost any other. In spite of its superlative characteristics, it is the least heard of cartridge in the entire series."

Sounds pretty concrete to me.. What do you think?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-09-2002 18:06: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

Hi Dan, I'm not trying to be argumentative over this, just maybe one of us are reading what Ackley wrote wrong!!

.250/3000 Improved
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>" This is one of the best of the so called Improved cartridges. It shows a greater percentage of increase in velocity than almost any other. In spite of its superlative characteristics, it is the least heard of cartridge in the entire series."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, one of the best and almost any other doesn't mean to me that it is the one best.

.257 Roberts Improved

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It is a relatively efficient cartridge, flexible and comes close to the Mythical "All around Cartridge". It is considered to be about the maximum capacity for the .25 bore and still produce satifactory performance and good barrel life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that sounds concrete to me!! I guess it is how you want to read it!!!

Jude;)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-10-2002 04:36: Message edited by: JudeinPa ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Short action caliber in 25..?? How about the 250 Savage Improved? According to PO Ackley, that cartridge gains more in performance than any of the rest.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This is one of the best of the so called Improved cartridges. It shows a greater percentage of increase in velocity than almost any other. In spite of its superlative characteristics, it is the least heard of cartridge in the entire series. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It shows a greater percentage of increase in velocity than almost any other

I believe that was the issue??

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-10-2002 07:29: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It shows a greater percentage of increase in velocity than almost any other.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm reading that it may show a greater percentage of increase in velocity than most any other, but I would much rather go with the Mythical "All around Cartridge".

I think that was the issue?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Any recommendations for a short action, 25 cal. round? Looking to make up a lightweight rig suitable for coyotes through caribou... if such a cartridge exists...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:rolleyes:

Ok you two out behind the bike sheds
fight fight

Man... I'll just buy a Remington M710 in 30.06 and be done with it! LOL Might you boys be picking flecks out of gnat sh!t? :D

Actually, the 7mm/08 or the 6.5/300WSM are in the final two. Im sure Dan can help me with the "right" barrel! As much as I'd like to continue watching you guys debate this topic, I've got an elk hunt to pack for as I'm leaving in the morning!

Wish me luck!!!

IndyJay, It was getting too quiet around here:D:D

As Dan mentioned we had this disscusion before and the guy asked just what you asked about an all'round gun from coyote to Bou. The .257 Roberts fills that bill for the so called one gun tool, and if P.O. was still alive just think of the powders he could have recommended today!!!

I think Dan is getting old, he lost his sense of a little ribbing!!!:D:D

Any way, Good Luck with your project and I hope you achieve your goal.

Jude;)

Good Luck Indy. Sure would like to know what happened with the Norma... Is that washed out??

Dan:

Yeah, just plain ran out of time with the Norma for this trip. I truly appreciate you getting me started with the ammo and I do intend to see which of those loads performs best...

As it turned out, a .22/250 would've been plenty! See DS' post under the Elk Hunting banner for details... as he unfolds them!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back