Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Winter Pictures

Based on the hysteria I saw on the news last week, some HuntTalkers from the eastern U.S. should have some winter pictures to share.

The snow in SW MT is melting rapidly. Here's a sunset shining on the length of the Elkhorn Range - from High Peak on the left to the snow-covered top of Elkhorn Peak on the right. I've been taking my evening walks in short-sleeves. :confused:

Attachments

• ElkhornsSunset.JPG
    ElkhornsSunset.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 1,525
Last edited:
Coming home from a high school game in Creede; moon over the Sangre de Cristo Mountains from across the San Luis Valley.

Attachments

• 017a.jpg
    017a.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,515
Goose20162_zpshvpjfon8.jpg

James Riley
Thanks for the moonrise picture....I don`t have any to load up.
I hiked 115 miles of the Sangre Di Cristo Mtns back in Summer 1984.
Watched a Brown Bear throw her cub at least 20 feet in the air to get him to grab our "bear bag"
Glad we were higher than she could throw, it was a little unnerving from my tent in my North Face Cat`s Meow.
That bag still best bag I have, but is a little snug for my current frame.
Philmont Boy Scout Ranch , I think they are still going strong.
Thanks,

10Dogs

We were headed down to Westcliffe last night for a basket ball game and I saw 5 bucks in a field by the road. I tried to get them all but the road was icy and there was a person coming up behind me so I left. The buck behind the tree was actually the biggest one. No record, but respectable. There was another off screen and a few little ones. They all had both antlers so they are not shedding yet.

001.JPG

North of Great Falls, by the wetlands, we had a thick frozen fog descend that didnt start clearing up for some visibility until after noon, when I shot this one, you can see the sun. Not as gorgeous as the sideways frost above, but everything had frozen frost on it. I was getting a a bunch of macros. Then I saw the badger a few days later (we were both moving, not great pic), have never seen one in real life.

ogLPzTB.png

6grEX8q.png

Hiking the Ridge to ski is my main form of winter exercise. This year I've haven't had the time, but last Thursday I figured I could get away for three hours so I drove to the ski area. It was the first time since Jan 2nd. Once there, I realized I forgot my hat and gloves - guess I was thinking too much about the domestic conflict. I was furious to blow my one chance at a powder day, even if sloppy seconds. So I ran back home, got the gloves, and drove back to make one hike before returning to work.
sIMG_4280_ridge.jpg

On the other front, Sam and I did a late season elk hunt a few weeks ago. Sam is part of the drama club at middle school and here he is playing the lead role in "I'm Too Tired to Take Another Step." To his credit, he got up at 5am the next day and after several close calls (which make for better stories) he got an elk. He is learning that reward isn't handed to you for just showing up.

sIMG_4249.jpg

Last edited:
Winter can be hard on animals. This old bull is looking thin. I hope he makes it to spring

Attachments

• DSCN0110.JPG
    DSCN0110.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 703
One of those perfect winter mornings, sunny,cold and a bit of fresh snow. Perfect for a quick hike.

Attachments

• DSCN0040.JPG
    DSCN0040.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 668
Dropping into NW direct. Getting out the bottom is fun too...

sNW Direct 1.jpg

sNW Direct 2.jpg

Last edited:
Miles City hit 74 yesterday. The snow line elevations here better represent May 5th as opposed to March 5th. It's officially still winter though. Overlooking Boulder, MT.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 569
It is actually still winter out there. You should recognize this one Rob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 474
I think I know where that is but I can't zoom in enough to verify.

I took Alex Russel out for a spin at Bridger yesterday. Here he is, pondering the terrain, and wondering if his life insurance is up to date after making the traverse that you can see to his right.

sIMG_4344.jpg

I took this one a few years back and it has always impressed me the way it captured the defeated look of a person realizing how steep and narrow Hidden Gully really is after a really hard hike to get to it.

sIMG_0466.jpg

Just got some film back from the processor. These rolls of film have been banging around in my bag for a while so not all are really winter photos.

(I think this one suffered from "Old Camera Syndrome" and the shutter didn't fully open, thus the giant black line at the bottom.)

I got to thinking yesterday, that I have not seen a "Winter Pictures" thread on here in a while....

I enjoy these threads and seeing pictures from all the different locales, seasons, terrain, people, hobbies, pets, etc. Very cool IMO.

So, Happy New Years to all, here's a few pics from this winter.

Colorado in Nov
20161120_092459.jpg

Utah in Dec with #2
20161204_112818.jpg

Colorado in Dec
20161226_100424.jpg

New Year's Eve with #1...
20161231_160200.jpg

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members