Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Winter Deep Snow Camping

I did my survival school from 4th - 26th of January 1981 at Fairchild AFB, WA. They took us to Colville National Forest north of Spokane. Never got above freezing the whole time. We had about 2' of snow on the ground when we got there, and another 1'+ while we were there. The things that I took away from that experience was 1) strip down to your underwear in your sleeping bag. You have a natural 98.6º F heater in the bag. The sleeping bag will warm up in about two minutes, and it'll keep you warm all night. 2) Put your boots in the bag with you. 3) put your clothes in the bag with you. 4) Snowshoes are awesome! We did everything on snowshoes. 5) vapor barrier boots were amazingly warm. Never had cold feet the entire time I was there. 6) My issue gloves (wool inserts and leather shells) were great. 7) make sure any tools you value (knives, fire stick, etc.) are on a lanyard. You drop it in the snow, you're going to be very lucky if you find it again. 8) Iodine tablets for the water. Never trust it without the tablets. 9) It's amazing what you can make out of a parachute.

I like to go in on snowshoes pulling a pulk sled. I have a 0* bag and a hot tent. twigs work great for stakes. Remi warren has a pretty good podcast on camping in the snow. Definitely am looking forward to getting out in the Hot tent again this year.

If you are pulling a sled, or have some way to make the weight tolerable, a space blanket (not the throw away kind) under your sleeping pad will help. If on snow, a level spot is essential, I've tramped it down with skiis but snowshoes are easier. I don't like to use butane or propane in cold, since it can freeze up, so I take a white gas stove (a 1970's vintage Svea) for reliable cooking (plus I like the sound, reminds me of climbing and hiking camps in my youth). Just don't spill fuel on your hands in the cold! As mentioned above, sleeping in your skivvies might sound counter-intuitive, but it really does work - stacking on your clothes, unless you are camping way below your bag's temperature capability, can actually have you feel like you are sleeping colder (YMMV on that, but I used to winter camp far more than summer camp).

A few years ago when my kids were growing up, we lived in a wall tent camp on the weekends. A decent size is 10x15. Five ft sidewalls make it really comfortable. We built a log frame about 2-3 ft high and placed the tent inside. That way when the snow came off the roof it didn't fall against the tent. We also stretched a tarp over the tent to an external log frame. That kept the humidity from freezing on the inside of the tent and then raining on you when you light the stove.

We put a 10 inch log across the inside of the tent to define the sleeping area. Behind that we put in two bales of straw and covered that with a tarp. Sleeping was soft, warm and dry. The front half of the tent was the stove, clothes, boots and guns. A rope on the ridgepole was great for drying, pants, boot liners, socks, underwear, coats, etc. To minimize packing we packed 1 old pair of romeo slippers for midnight runs to the privy. commonly called the piss slippers.

Usually we had a cook tent set up with a tarp cover for a kitchen / dining room. We had a stove in there also. We had a fold up picnic table to eat on. This set up kept the humidity down in the sleeping tent. Tents, stoves, propane, bags, gear and us fit on four horses. We called this a family outing for 5 weekends.

It was easy for 2-4 of us but got to be too much for just me.
This was how the gent that taught me deer hunting would set camp in Oregon. Except we had one of those hideously heavy green Army tents. But with the sleeping area, a wood stove, and a cook stove, and chairs and table, we had a toasty, comfortable camp. Too much work for one, though, or for a short trip.

My modification for just me was a canvas bell-backed-wedge tent (from my reenactor gear), with a bale of hay under a tarp and blanket made into my sleeping pallet. Wonderfully comfortable, and an easy camp to set up compared to something larger.

Hmmm...after spending $30k on a camp trailer, now I'm gettin' all interested in getting back out under canvas....

No need for snow stakes. Some types of metal bond with snow and they are heavy/bulky anyway.

Instead, earlier in the year gather a bunch of 6-8" long sticks, and it's best if they're from the same area due to parasites etc. Tie them to your guys with a trucker's hitch or other slip knot, ensuring the tail is long enough that it sticks out of the snow. Bed the stakes under snow and tamp them down. When you're ready to break camp, just pull the tail of the guys. The sticks are local so you don't have to worry about cleaning them up.

I like this single wall pyramid a lot because it's light and easy to pitch. I have a DCF tarp I'm going to try snow camping with this winter.

83920335_105636730898906_1035465085272036123_n.jpg

No need for snow stakes. Some types of metal bond with snow and they are heavy/bulky anyway.

Instead, earlier in the year gather a bunch of 6-8" long sticks, and it's best if they're from the same area due to parasites etc. Tie them to your guys with a trucker's hitch or other slip knot, ensuring the tail is long enough that it sticks out of the snow. Bed the stakes under snow and tamp them down. When you're ready to break camp, just pull the tail of the guys. The sticks are local so you don't have to worry about cleaning them up.

I like this single wall pyramid a lot because it's light and easy to pitch. I have a DCF tarp I'm going to try snow camping with this winter.

View attachment 167324

This is how I would wake up if I slept in that tent. ;)

brrrr-i-cant-feel-my-ass.jpg

I like snow caves when it is cold and the snow is deep. One February weekend, on Trapper Peak in western Montana, it was cold but there was not much snow. My friends and I had to pile snow up to have enough to build a cave. The next winter, the same two guys and I built an igloo at Aneroid Lake (likely on) in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. That was pretty nice, too. Both are pretty labor intensive though - especially the igloo - but both are relatively balmy inside when the temperature dips.

I always liked the idea of using a pulk but my ski skills are barely sufficient to get just myself in and out.

Interested in the tips and tricks for camping in deep snow.
What's your usual gear for setting camp, etc?
I personally have studied a lot of wilderness survival and practiced it. Your biggest things are you are going to either want to be up off the ground like a cot or other alternatives. Or find a patch of dry ground to put your tent on. If you don't carry a cot at least have a good sleeping pad or 2 under you for airspace. Then obviously you need a good wind resistant shelter that will hold a little heat

A few years ago when my kids were growing up, we lived in a wall tent camp on the weekends. A decent size is 10x15. Five ft sidewalls make it really comfortable. We built a log frame about 2-3 ft high and placed the tent inside. That way when the snow came off the roof it didn't fall against the tent. We also stretched a tarp over the tent to an external log frame. That kept the humidity from freezing on the inside of the tent and then raining on you when you light the stove.

We put a 10 inch log across the inside of the tent to define the sleeping area. Behind that we put in two bales of straw and covered that with a tarp. Sleeping was soft, warm and dry. The front half of the tent was the stove, clothes, boots and guns. A rope on the ridgepole was great for drying, pants, boot liners, socks, underwear, coats, etc. To minimize packing we packed 1 old pair of romeo slippers for midnight runs to the privy. commonly called the piss slippers.

Usually we had a cook tent set up with a tarp cover for a kitchen / dining room. We had a stove in there also. We had a fold up picnic table to eat on. This set up kept the humidity down in the sleeping tent. Tents, stoves, propane, bags, gear and us fit on four horses. We called this a family outing for 5 weekends.

It was easy for 2-4 of us but got to be too much for just me.
Our elk camp was set up almost exactly like that, except we used Coleman white gas rather than propane. And no separate cook tent.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back