Winston 4 Weight Fly Rod 8 1/2 Foot

shrapnel

This is the best that Winston had to offer when Tom Morgan still owned Winston Flyrods. This still has the original rod tube and sock, and the Winston Cup on the rod shaft. These rods were created to fish and present the best line control when flyrods were built to fish. This is before everyone wanted to build a flyrod that cast long lines in a parking lot. This rod is designed and built to catch fish. The control of your line is still at it's best when rods like this are used. A real classic rod at the apex of rod development...$450.00

96DA802D-E2DD-46BF-ABC9-6DF32E8498EF.jpegC12AC4F9-A4F6-430F-999E-9A119C0350DE.jpeg4ED409FC-9967-4F80-838E-CCBC0453CDF0.jpeg6F1A8174-0EB4-45AE-AD57-8AF4C2E68B10.jpeg36EC2B72-358B-4542-81A4-7C603FF8F59E.jpeg

You might find a buyer on PNW fly fishing forum(formally WFF).
2 pc rods a tough sell these days.
Nice classic.

Interesting. An 8.5' #4 weight is indeed an unusual combination. I've handled a few 5 wt creek rods but I wouldn't want a creek rod longer than 7 or 7.5'

Maybe for float tubing small fish on a big lake?

I’m ruminating on your offer. I have several Winstons, couple of 6s a couple of 8s and a 10. Grizz ate my 4wt. Last trip of the season into Cabin creek wasn’t going to go back for the pieces that day. I don‘t think they believed me at Winston. Said I had to send them something.:)

I’m imagining myself enjoying that rod fishing fine dries with a delicate touch in the midst of a mayfly hatch on a spring creek or a meandering meadow stream. With a DT line and an old click & pawl reel, of course. Also imagining myself in a world where I have more spare cash.

Hope someone from HT snatches it up!

This is a delightful rod, with the utmost of quality in craftsmanship. Few people understood the finer aspects of rod building, Tom Morgan was that kind of guy. I fished with Tom and have several of his Winston rods and 2 of his TM Rodsmiths rods. He understood the taper of the mandrill and the least amount of material to define the best casting rod you could get your hands on.

I can’t say what Winston has become since Tom sold it, but during his stewardship, Winston was building the best rod in the industry. This is old school and works like a fly rod was meant to perform..

St. Croix is good and been around for a long time; we had both and a few Loomis rods as well from before Shimano bought them. Sage were too delicate for lodge rods. Echo were the most popular with our guests who didn’t bring their own rods, unless they got their grubby mitts on one of my Winstons.

I'm letting go of rods, not acquiring more, but this is a great rod.

You can’t beat a TFO for price and warranty. Many of the price rods do work and will catch fish. But alas, they do not cast and feel as good in the hand as the better built rods.

If you can’t tell the difference, save your money. If you can, this is a fantastic rod, priced really fair…

I just gave away a couple of rods and trading away another and I want this. I definitely have a problem. And don't kid yourself. A TFO is not in this class.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an early Winston graphite rod that is as much fly fishing history as it is a fly rod. It is a 4 digit serial number with the gold trophy cup…

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back