Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Winston 4 Weight Fly Rod 8 1/2 Foot

The problem with buying a used graphite fly rod is there can easily be hidden defects waiting to explode. I know this too well. Fishing in a stiff breeze, even an accomplished fly fisherman is bound to hit his rod with the fly on occasion. Then one day out of the blue the rod snaps in two on that spot while bringing in a fish. Obviously, this is more of an issue with bigger fish and heavier equipment, but it happens. I have lost an 8 wt and 7 wt rod to this. Not sure I would want to actually fish with an expensive collectable for that reason. Sure, it may be warrantied but it would undoubtedly lose its collector value if a new blank is put on it.

The problem with buying a used graphite fly rod is there can easily be hidden defects waiting to explode. I know this too well. Fishing in a stiff breeze, even an accomplished fly fisherman is bound to hit his rod with the fly on occasion. Then one day out of the blue the rod snaps in two on that spot while bringing in a fish. Obviously, this is more of an issue with bigger fish and heavier equipment, but it happens. I have lost an 8 wt and 7 wt rod to this. Not sure I would want to actually fish with an expensive collectable for that reason. Sure, it may be warrantied but it would undoubtedly lose its collector value if a new blank is put on it.
Some people fish, some just talk about it. Some people hunt and use expensive equipment. I never bought a fly rod, rifle or pair of binoculars that I was afraid to use.

90% of the things you worry about, never happen and the other 10% you can’t do anything about. I never caught a fish or shot an elk with worry.

Not sure I would want to actually fish with an expensive collectable for that reason. Sure, it may be warrantied but it would undoubtedly lose its collector value if a new blank is put on it.

There are few, if any, 'expensive' vintage graphite rods, old fly rods just aren't worth that much unless you get into the weeds of split cane rods. I had a cool old cane fly rod that I fished on occasion, it was 100+ years old and a true collector piece made by a famous Maine rod builder named Eustis Edwards, and it was still only worth $250 or so.

Have you tried the Streamer X? I really want one in a 7 wt. Or maybe a 7 in an Orvis recon…
I haven't found the need to replace any rods. Ie upgrade.
Heard great things about the Orvis Recon.
I run a 7wght Sage XP and a Echo3 -7 wght. I also fish 7 wght lines on the 6 wght Ion XL and Sage XP.

Where the heck you fellas fishing 7wts in MT for trout? I felt like I was slapping the water with a 5wt yesterday but that a 3wt was a bit too light. An 8’6” Winston 4wt would’ve been the ticket with 5x tippet and size 16 PMDs.

Where the heck you fellas fishing 7wts in MT for trout? I felt like I was slapping the water with a 5wt yesterday but that a 3wt was a bit too light. An 8’6” Winston 4wt would’ve been the ticket with 5x tippet and size 16 PMDs.
Streamers on the Yellowstone is exactly what I want a 9’6” or 10’ 7 wt for. And pike.

Must not ever blow when you fish.
Good luck with a 4 wght in Jan/Feb.
Lake fishing...7 wght with an intermediate sinking.
Articulated flies on a 4 wght.?...🤣
I fish 3 wght-8 wght for trout, depending.

Delicately cast dry flies preferred here, fellas. Especially in fair weather months. But not opposed to whipping around some gym sock streamers for big stuff if ya’ll want to invite me down.

Delicately cast dry flies preferred here, fellas. Especially in fair weather months. But not opposed to whipping around some gym sock streamers for big stuff if ya’ll want to invite me down.
Although I do love catching dumb mountain fish on big bushy dries.

Big tailwaters with breezy climes means a 7wt is perfect for nymphing & tossing streamers.

Have you tried the Streamer X? I really want one in a 7 wt. Or maybe a 7 in an Orvis recon…

I have Kelly Galloup's previous streamer rod design, the St. Croix Bank Robber, it's absolutely killer, I use it all the time. I'd bet that Streamer X is an excellent rod, I'm trying to get my brother to buy one in a 7wt so I can use it...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back