Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wind and antelope

Bhill552

I've always heard about the wy wind but never got the chance to experience it on my previous hunts. This trip changed that as it was 30 to 45 mph winds both days. That made staying in a popup camper on the prairie interesting and cold to say the least.

As for the hunt it was very tough. The antelope were very pressured amd spooky. The wind also caused us to road hunt more than we had planned. With the help of an awesome family we met out there on day one my son was able to get it done on his first western hunt. We helped them with a little problem they had and they repaid by putting us on this antelope they found.

We also got some help from a member on here that put us in an area. In that area we found the biggest goat we saw during the hunt but couldn't close the distance.

Lots of lessons were learned by both my son and myself.

Attachments

• 20181006_143159_resized.jpg
    20181006_143159_resized.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 357
Nicely done! Congrats to you and your son. What unit?

7. Although I dont think I'd go back. My previous hunts were in higher point and lower pressure units and were much more enjoyable. Cushman made a post in the past about unit 7 having to many tags issued and I'd have to agree.

All that being said it was still better than work and school.

Nice score for your son. I think the wind affects the hunter more than it does the lopes. If the actual temp was lower I expect that they'd be down out of the wind more.

Congratulations to your son. He will remember that for a long time. I have heard from others that 7 issued way to many tags this year.

7. Although I dont think I'd go back. My previous hunts were in higher point and lower pressure units and were much more enjoyable. Cushman made a post in the past about unit 7 having to many tags issued and I'd have to agree.

All that being said it was still better than work and school.

I have a "honey-hole" in 7 that is always just PACKED with goats, but this year was really REALLY sparse there!! I took a nice buck 30 minutes into opening morning in 27, but 7 was BLEAK!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back