Winchester SXP Opinions

MTLabrador

I’ve handled one of the short barreled SXP defenders at Scheel’s and came away thinking that it was light, cheap, and ran smoothly. Anyone used one? Are they crap?

It’s purpose in life would be a security blanket that can kill a large bear more effectively than a handgun while doing activities that make a bear more likely to kill me, such as return trips to pack elk quarters. This is why I like that it’s light and cheap.

Thoughts?

It is not a bad pump......very serviceable. But, for a little LESS money and the purposes you are talking about I steer you to the Mossberg Maverick 88. Those jokers are an awesome value, work every time and are at least assembled in the US (versus Turkey). Bonus is the 88s also take a good amount of the Mossberg 500 barrels.

It is not a bad pump......very serviceable. But, for a little LESS money and the purposes you are talking about I steer you to the Mossberg Maverick 88. Those jokers are an awesome value, work every time and are at least assembled in the US (versus Turkey). Bonus is the 88s also take a good amount of the Mossberg 500 barrels.

Man that thing is cheap, does look like a good value. I’ve considered a regular old Mossberg too, they’re probably the most proven. I don’t quite trust the new 870s yet.

Man that thing is cheap, does look like a good value. I’ve considered a regular old Mossberg too, they’re probably the most proven. I don’t quite trust the new 870s yet.
If folks actually ask I am also advising them to wait on the new RemArms products until they actually show they have unfornicated themselves. We have gotten some 870s and 700s in so far.....nothing impressive yet. I am holding out hope. Here is a great review/test of the 88

Friend bought an SXP last year.
Manual loading, self ejecting.
Shoot it, when you recover from the recoil & go to eject the shell, only to find out the forestock is already back & shell ejected.

This with 5 different shooters.

Of course maybe the 3,1/2" turkey loads have something to do with it.. :unsure:

I’ve handled one of the short barreled SXP defenders at Scheel’s and came away thinking that it was light, cheap, and ran smoothly. Anyone used one? Are they crap?

It’s purpose in life would be a security blanket that can kill a large bear more effectively than a handgun while doing activities that make a bear more likely to kill me, such as return trips to pack elk quarters. This is why I like that it’s light and cheap.

Thoughts?
I think the gun itself is a good gun. I've had one for 7 or 8 years now for turkey. I barely shoot it each year, and struggle with the action some. You still have to pull back some after the shot. If not you'll have an empty chamber.

Personally I like the Mossbergs or a Rem 870. But I think with enough practice the SXP is a good option.

I had an SXP and sold it. Pros it fit me and shot well. Cons after 50-60 rounds the barrel nut would come loose and it would start failing to fire because a gap would happen between the barrel and action.

I have one in 12 gauge. One thing I found out the hard way is that taking it apart and cleaning the internals is prone to flying spring syndrome......I still have yet to find the first one that went flying away in the garage.

Id never recommend a maverick. My cheap buddy buys them and replaces them every 500 rounds or so. He’s had 2 or 3 of the fore ends break away from the single action bar. He keeps a spare for when one breaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back