Winchester model 70 stainless boss ?

Melman

My uncle has a hardly used older Model 70 in .270 with a Leupold Vari x II 3.5x10 mounted on it. he wants to sell it. I looked at Gunbroker but cant find the same setup for a comparison. I'd say the Boss on the barrel is probably a deterrent to most but I'm not a Winchester guy so maybe there is a market for these. any suggestions on a package price would be appreciated. any bids would also be welcome. I'm thinking a ballpark figure would be $1000

603A41B3-8C45-48FA-962F-8F7316391BF8 (002).jpeg1E01C33C-71ED-468B-B6BB-A2DDCF1DBB06.jpeg10D45177-E6F7-4A56-85EE-1F078EA4BE3A (002).jpeg9D92CA44-324B-428B-943D-F1C0FBD2303F (003).jpegD5878493-4DB7-4EA2-BC5F-164DDFA6AC38 (002).jpeg

Nice looking rifle. I just bought my ss model 70 and love it. I'm sure this is worth a pretty penny.

What how many numerical digits in the serial number after the G prefix?

Good point, does it say "classic stainless boss" on the barrel?

I'm curious why you ask? I have one that says Classic Stainless Boss on the barrel with SN of G79XXX that is the finest shooting rifle I've ever owned (my dad gave it to me and keeps trying to repossess it😁).

I just don't know enough about guns to understand the question.

I'm curious why you ask? I have one that says Classic Stainless Boss on the barrel with SN of G79XXX that is the finest shooting rifle I've ever owned (my dad gave it to me and keeps trying to repossess it😁).

I'm curious also, i'll check to see what is on the barrel and the serial number and report back.

The BOSS (ballistically optimized shooting system) or something to that effect, was available on both Browning and Winchester rifles, factory installed, not availble from a smith to my knowledge. Not a big hit. mtmuley

Just confirming that it was one of the guns that came out of New Haven early when they restarted in the early nineties. The "classic stainless" is just confirming model, and the 5 digits after the G in the SN is more desirable amongst a lot of gun dorks because it confirms it was early off the line and regarded as some of the best M70's made.

I own a 1998 vintage classic stainless boss in .243. Bought it in 2002 or 2003. I bought it as a first rifle for my then unborn daughter(s). It shot very well, but the BOSS system was so ridiculously loud I couldn't stand it. I even bought the BOSS CR ( conventional recoil) and that was almost just as bad. Also the barrel is shorter than a normal Model 70. They include the BOSS in the barrel measurement. Mine was listed as a 20" barrel, but when you unscrewed the BOSS, the barrel was actually only 16".

I eventually found a takeoff barrel in .243 from a featherweight stainless and had that screwed on in place of the BOSS barrel. Now it is a sweetheart to shoot and the blast doesn't intimidate new shooters at all like it did.

Might be a long shot but I’m in search of a gun like this but not the stainless version of this. Long story short my grandfather lost his in a fire and would really like to get a new one. Any help is appreciated! Edit: the .270

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back