Caribou Gear

Winchester model 70 - sporter vs featherweight?

Look at the two and ask yourself which you would want to hand down to the next gen...
Different answers for different folks. Utility or soul? For me, soul for 1-3 day hunts, lightweight/stainless utility for long treks
If you’re still not sure, buy the Featherweight and don’t look back. One of the classiest rifles out there that doesn’t cost two arms and a leg.

I've always loved the lines and look of the featherweight. But the one I had in 30/06 kicked like a mule! I thought I'd stay young and tough, but I finally got rid of it, got a 7mm08 way back when, before it was cool. A 243 shouldn't be bad as a kicker, the 308, I don't know.

There is quite a bit of difference between the sporter and the featherweight. The stock and stock profile as well as the barrel and barrel profile. The barrel has of course, a featherweight contour. On the Winchester, the barrel on a sporter weight is typically also 24" and on a FW they're 22".

Personally, I like the Fwt. Mine is a .280 Rem.

And the stainless barrels and synthetic stocks? is the $300 premium worth it? Can you just forget about the rain and store it wet?

No you cannot.

The stainless barrels and synthetic stocks are worth the increase if you like the weight of the M70's. The stock is decent but thick in the wrist. Typically, the stainless will be easier to clean too.

I’m not a big fan of the M70s because of the Mauser-style safety. Just feels awkward to me, and the one that I had got out of timing and was very difficult to click off.

I also prefer stainless rifles for durability, and standard weight rifles because they’re more comfortable to shoot at the range and in the field for me.

Those are my preferences, but pick what you like. Life is too short to buy guns that don’t make YOU happy. I’m becoming more of the opinion that I have bought too many rifles in my lifetime that were “good deals,” but didn’t fit me well enough, that I would have been better off just paying more to buy what made me happy in the first place. I’m not talking about crazy expensive custom or semi custom rifles, just a brand or configuration that may cost a few bucks more. In the end, if I trade or sell it because I don’t like it after shooting several boxes of ammo through it, buying scope base and rings, etc, how cheap was it really? I would have been better off buying the one that fit me best to begin with. Live and learn.

If I was getting a M70 I'd get the featherweight. I like a 22" barrel on non magnum calibers and the slim stock is attractive. I really want one in .270

If I was getting a M70 I'd get the featherweight. I like a 22" barrel on non magnum calibers and the slim stock is attractive. I really want one in .270

Damn near bought one yesterday in .270 Win. It was a used M70 stainless featherweight, with a beautiful walnut stock. Didn't have the cash with me. I may go back this week yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back