Caribou Gear

Winchester M70 EW

Mako

Anyone own one of these? I thought I had settled on a Tikka T3x Lite, and then I stumbled across an article on the Wincester M70 Extreme Weather. It weighs the same as the M70 featherweight and comes in at .25 llbs. heavier than the T3x lite. With my VX-5 HD scope and lightweight rings/mounts, it should weigh right around 8.5 lbs. Anyone using one of these as a mountain rifle? How do you like it?

I have one in 7mmHT. It has quickly become my favorite hunting rifle. I don't do any mountain hunting, but carrying it through the fields in South Dakota hasn't been a problem. Accuracy is great. I would think it would come down to price and whichever fits you better.
I don't own the Tikka but have heard great things about them, I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.
See which one feels the best and go with that and don't look back.

One of my sons had a EW and the other has Tikka. I have shot both. Tikka is a much more accurate rifle and lighter.

The EW was fun to play with but it my son sold it due to weight.

If I was choosing, Tikka.

I had an M70 EW in 7mm-08 for a while and it was a good shooter but I had a lot of problems with extraction. Shell would get lodged in the chamber and it happened with all different brands of commercial ammo and hand loads. I sent it back to Winchester. They never could get it right so I now have a Tikka T3x stainless in 7mm-08. I liked the Tikka so much that I bought ones in 30-06 and 300 Win Mag too. All 3 are great shooters and have performed flawlessly.

I have two EWs, both are FN rifles, manufactured in South Carolina.

Neither have given me any problems. They aren't the lightest rifle in the safe, but certainly not the heaviest.

Both have proven very accurate with some simple load development.

I've had a Portuguese-made EW in .30-06 for 2 years; it's accurate, rugged and reliable. The only change I've made is to fit a Timney trigger. The original trigger was fine, but I prefer a lighter pull.
I also have a Tikka T3X stainless synthetic in 6.5x55. I've had it cerakoted, as it seemed prone to tarnishing, replaced the plastic bottom metal with an alloy unit, and fitted a custom stock. It's now as I like it, but it would have cost less just to buy a second EW.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back