Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Win Pre 64 Gibbs info

If u can find a copy of "Wildcat Cartridges combo addition" it has a pretty good write up on the I think 3 of the Gibbs cartdriges, the 25 Gibbs 270 Gibbs and 30 Gibbs. Depending on the barrel length of the 270 Gibbs in question it would be faster than the 270 win with all bullets, and depending on when the gun itself was made prolly chambered by Rocky himself.

Looks in good shape. The stock is sure interesting. The serial number is marked by the factory on the bolt.

I have a 30 Gibbs and it is a great hunting round and easy to fire form. I load 165 grain btsp, with H414 powder. I would keep cause it can be a real hammer.

Talking with Derek he believes it was stored in a case for the last 44 years. He took it out and shot it to see if he wanted to take it on the elk hunt last year. One shot was enough for him and it went back in the case.

Ben, have the Ackley, Gibbs, Newton, Whelen stuff all fallen out of favor ?

He liked those reworked Husqvarna Mauser actions-- have they also fallen out of favor ?

My thoughts about the 300 H & H was mostly and simply because it has been one of my favorite calibers through the years and if you find one manufactured by winchester in 1950 it might have 300 Magnum and their logo stamped on the barrel -if it is one of those , it might be worth keeping as they didn't make a lot of them --but again a lot of my reasoning on this one is my love for that particular caliber.

I just thought of another difference between now and then. There was a lot of cheap 30-06 ammo around, the cases for the Gibbs might not be as easy to come by now or as cheap anyway.

However, I might be remembering incorrectly--it is happening more and more these days. I really hate old age lol

Ben or anyone ?

April,

The Whelen still has a concrete following, as do many of the Ackley chambering (myself included!) but the Gbbs & Newton wildcats are often eclipsed by the newer cartridges that provide "better" performance than those wildcast, like the 300 WSM, or the Win Mag lines in short or long action rifles. The trend these days is to get as light as possible with your rig, so you have to put a brake on it to shoot it at the range, and blow everyone's eardrums out with how awesome your set up is. :)

The 300 sounds like the most collectable one of the group. The barrelled action should fetch a decent price.

I'm a fan of Mauser 98's. My Whelen is a war bringback and with the new barrel on it, it shoots about .75 inch at 100 with 250 grain Hornady round nose bullets. It smacks the heck out of you with the mauser model b stock though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back