Will market volatility and or heath concerns with the virus influence your western hunting plans

Will stock market volatility and the virus curb you from heading West to hunt?

• To much financial risk and or health risk in traveling - not going this year

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Risky, will apply and decide later whether to go

Votes: 60 19.0%
  • Not concerned, headed west with no changes planned

Votes: 232 73.7%

• Total voters
I think "screwing over people" is a poor choice for western states. Customer retention is going to be important over the next couple of years as the economy recovers.

I hope states recognize this fact and act accordingly.
And again there is a character issue - if the state collects the money and then prevents the very hunt they charged the money for why is that the hunter's loss? I expect governments to behave better than that. I am, however, all in favor of folks donating their refunds to the conservation fund of their choosing (and I probably will do this if it comes to that).

I sent in for the Colorado draw. Hoping that if I draw and cannot travel that they will do similar to the turkey season, I think if they give a refund and restore your points is great! I think that if they restore and refund, they should keep the amount of money it would cost for a point and gain a point towards next years draw. We already have money into our outfitter who is telling us to apply. Scared to not apply and lose the outfitter money, but also worried about drawing and not being able to travel state to state.

I sent in for the Colorado draw. Hoping that if I draw and cannot travel that they will do similar to the turkey season, I think if they give a refund and restore your points is great! I think that if they restore and refund, they should keep the amount of money it would cost for a point and gain a point towards next years draw. We already have money into our outfitter who is telling us to apply. Scared to not apply and lose the outfitter money, but also worried about drawing and not being able to travel state to state.

Colorado already allows either a refund or point restoration (not both) up until 30 days before the start of the season. I think if you are applying with 0-3 points in CO this year you don't have much to worry about.

If the state wants to fund their wildlife departments with donations, they’re more than welcome to do so, but licenses and tags are NOT DONATIONS. When a state sells licenses and tags, they are selling permission. The idea that they can sell that permission, then subsequently deny that permission, without making the customer whole is absurd. Frankly, after they conduct the draw, anyone drawn should have a good case that they’re owed more than a refund ie. a tag next year if they prefer that instead.

I know there’s no way I’m going to convince any of my customers to pay me for services that I never render if I get shut down.

Last edited:
So, just got the email from WY Game & Fish with respect to hunting/fishing and the 14-day quarantine order, etc. Reviewed everything thoroughly and asked the wife what she thought, as G&F kindly pointed out the withdrawal date for my long shot elk application was coming up in a month. I figured we needed to have a discussion about potentially pulling the application. First thing she said was there’s no way we’ll have to worry about that in September/October - end of discussion. So I got that goin for me, which is nice.

So, just got the email from WY Game & Fish with respect to hunting/fishing and the 14-day quarantine order, etc. Reviewed everything thoroughly and asked the wife what she thought, as G&F kindly pointed out the withdrawal date for my long shot elk application was coming up in a month. I figured we needed to have a discussion about potentially pulling the application. First thing she said was there’s no way we’ll have to worry about that in September/October - end of discussion. So I got that goin for me, which is nice.
From what I saw if you brought everything in, camped in the woods, did not interact with others, you would be self quarantining. Gas would fall under essential I think. Did anyone read it differently.

From what I saw if you brought everything in, camped in the woods, did not interact with others, you would be self quarantining. Gas would fall under essential I think. Did anyone read it differently.
That’s how I was looking at it, but my opinions with respect to hunting certainly have some bias. That’s why I wanted a second opinion from the wife.

Colorado already allows either a refund or point restoration (not both) up until 30 days before the start of the season. I think if you are applying with 0-3 points in CO this year you don't have much to worry about.

But do you get a point restoration for that year? Say I have 6 points and draw a bull tag that required 6 points, CPW cancels the season. If you only get 6 points back you are effectively a year behind where you were in the point creep scheme compared to those who just bought points, which would be very frustrating.

But do you get a point restoration for that year? Say I have 6 points and draw a bull tag that required 6 points, CPW cancels the season. If you only get 6 points back you are effectively a year behind where you were in the point creep scheme compared to those who just bought points, which would be very frustrating.
No idea, my guess is they wouldn’t give you a point, as they don’t when you return your tag back in... but this a a pure WAG.

I've never been so pleased finally get to the CO application end date. I changed my mind and therefore tag application 4 times! Changed from an easy to draw tag, to hard draw and finally to points only. I'll have 5 elk points for next year.

I still intend to apply in WY and ID and sure hope things improve so we can get back to a more normal life. Here in NZ the government has been pretty hard line and the timing couldn't have been worse, they literally outlawed hunting and fishing country wide for a month which happens to be the roar - yes they passed a regulation stating no hunting or fishing, making it a criminal offence.

Anyway, COVID appears to be well contained here so at least the approach appears to be working. Lets hope things return to normal as soon as possible, otherwise this might be the closest i get to ID!

IMG_1340.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back