Caribou Gear

Will buck look bigger just before shedding?

WYelker

So this last week we have been hitting the elk hunt hard for a cow. But in the process, we saw a lot
Of really good looking bucks. Extra tall and high to the cutters.

My question is this, will the buck gain much score as the horns under it grow?

Yeah if you time it just right the new prong will cause the base to balloon up to about 8-9” but you have to catch them right about an hour before they shed. This is how @EliAGrimmett and crew manage to get all those big WY bucks late in the season. Timing is everything.
HhMMmmm.

No. The old horn pops off and isn't part of the new one. Two different horns.
I know they are separate, but it seems the old one growing in under the new one would push the old one off. It seems like just before shedding g the horn would look taller as it moves up and the bases would increase in diameter as the
New horns expanded under the old.

In theory this would mean that a lope harvested late might score better than he did when he was in early August?

Yeah if you time it just right the new prong will cause the base to balloon up to about 8-9” but you have to catch them right about an hour before they shed. This is how @EliAGrimmett and crew manage to get all those big WY bucks late in the season. Timing is everything.
I am talking a ton but would the difference be noticeable? We had a group of bucks just out of town that I see almost daily. The one buck is pretty decent, but this weekend he looked bigger. Yesterday and now today when I come through I don’t see him any longer, I assumed he shed? But the last time I saw him he might have been a little taller to the cutter…

Not sure but something I might look into more…

I know they are separate, but it seems the old one growing in under the new one would push the old one off. It seems like just before shedding g the horn would look taller as it moves up and the bases would increase in diameter as the
New horns expanded under the old.

In theory this would mean that a lope harvested late might score better than he did when he was in early August?
You are talking about adding the measurements for both sets of horns together, essentially. That’s not how the scoring works.

You are talking about adding the measurements for both sets of horns together, essentially. That’s not how the scoring works.

I as the horn under grows in, the outer horn has to give, can it give some stretch so to speak before the under horn pushes the outer horn off. I looked at a fresh set of sheds my buddy picked up Wednesday. He and I were taking and
Compared to a horn from a euro mount you could see where the base appeared to be spread/stretched...

My understanding is that the sheath under nesther never stops growing that it grows the entire time…

I as the horn under grows in, the outer horn has to give, can it give some stretch so to speak before the under horn pushes the outer horn off. I looked at a fresh set of sheds my buddy picked up Wednesday. He and I were taking and
Compared to a horn from a euro mount you could see where the base appeared to be spread/stretched...

My understanding is that the sheath under nesther never stops growing that it grows the entire time…
They stretch like these bases here.

1668836882528.gif

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back