Caribou Gear Tarp

Wildlife Highway crossing success stories.

Arizona has them on the highway north of Kingman in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area going to Hoover Dam and North of Tucson on Oracle Rd thru Oro Valley. GJ

I have spent my nearly 30 year career now dedicated to transportation ecology and mitigating the impacts of our transportation systems on wildlife. I can't tell you how proud I am of the scientists and engineers who are coming together around the country to address these pressing issues of wildlife movement across transportation corridors. Thanks also to the average sportsmen and citizens around the country who support wildlife crossings and other types of mitigation. You may not realize it but your voice is being heard. I was not involved in the Utah crossing referenced in this post but have been involved in one way or another on many of the crossings in Montana. If anyone ever has questions or thoughts they want to share with me, feel free to send me a PM. I thoroughly enjoy talking about one of my passions in life.

As a bridge engineer, I wish I could design a bridge like this. Would be way cooler designing one for 4 legged critters than for 2 legged ones...

I have spent my nearly 30 year career now dedicated to transportation ecology and mitigating the impacts of our transportation systems on wildlife. I can't tell you how proud I am of the scientists and engineers who are coming together around the country to address these pressing issues of wildlife movement across transportation corridors. Thanks also to the average sportsmen and citizens around the country who support wildlife crossings and other types of mitigation. You may not realize it but your voice is being heard. I was not involved in the Utah crossing referenced in this post but have been involved in one way or another on many of the crossings in Montana. If anyone ever has questions or thoughts they want to share with me, feel free to send me a PM. I thoroughly enjoy talking about one of my passions in life.
It would be really interesting to hear the science, decision making and engineering that goes into these. @Big Fin maybe a podcast idea?

It would be really interesting to hear the science, decision making and engineering that goes into these. @Big Fin maybe a podcast idea?
I seem to recall Rinella talking to a biologist once about this, and the science suggests pretty strongly that if crossings are wide enough and introduce native habitat they work really well. If they are just a canal under a road, not so much.

I seem to recall Rinella talking to a biologist once about this, and the science suggests pretty strongly that if crossings are wide enough and introduce native habitat they work really well. If they are just a canal under a road, not so much.

They need a considerable amount of fencing to funnel the animals as well. That's been the hang up for Oregon completing its second crossing.

There’s a pretty new one south of Watford City, ND in the north unit of Teddy Roosevelt NP. Was pretty cool to be up there as it was being built and watching bighorn sheep filter through the construction equipment.

Back