Why isn't it "Big 4"?

To be fair, you can shoot Dall sheep in Texas..
They aren't wild sheep, they are crossbred domestic sheep, called "Texas Dalls." Totally different animal.

You can buy a wild sheep tag in any state that has them, if you have enough money. Its for "conservation," so you can feel good while you and your posse hunt one down. To your Texas comment, I think TX does have some LO hunts for big horns.

They way things are going, you can add mule deer an antelope to the list. Make it the big 6.

Last edited:
They are wild sheep, they are crossbred domestic sheep, called "Texas Dalls." Totally different animal.

I think he said you can shoot Dall sheep in TX tongue in cheek. I had to give him the benefit of a doubt at least. Surely no one on this forum could be that ignorant? But I’ve been wrong before lol.

I think he said you can shoot Dall sheep in TX tongue in cheek. I had to give him the benefit of a doubt at least. Surely no one on this forum could be that ignorant? But I’ve been wrong before lol.
I am amazed at how many people dont even care if its behind a high fence, just a trophy on the wall. To most of us the trophy is the experiance and the mount is a memory trigger of that adventure.

I agree ccc.
Hunting terms like Big 3, Big 5, Grand Slam, Deer Slam, or whatever, are meaningless if the adventure is missed along the way.
In my mind the same is true if someone has to ask, "what did it score?", letting a measuring tape determine the success of a hunt.
Getting an opportunity to hunt a rare animal, or having a once in a lifetime tag should no doubt be celebrated, but ultimately, if we miss the joy of filling our lungs with the clean air or ignore a misty sunrise, we might as well take up golf.

Definitely tongue in cheek. My point was simply that you can hunt about any species in a "canned" manner, and yet some people will still prioritize it simply based on the species. I think there is a misperception that all Bison hunts are canned and a 100% success, when that is simply no where near the truth for several of the bison hunts available in the draw in many western states.

I agree ccc.
Hunting terms like Big 3, Big 5, Grand Slam, Deer Slam, or whatever, are meaningless if the adventure is missed along the way.
In my mind the same is true if someone has to ask, "what did it score?", letting a measuring tape determine the success of a hunt.
Getting an opportunity to hunt a rare animal, or having a once in a lifetime tag should no doubt be celebrated, but ultimately, if we miss the joy of filling our lungs with the clean air or ignore a misty sunrise, we might as well take up golf.
You aren't wrong, but this is about wild bison hunts being an uncommon hunting experience for an iconic North American species. Rarer than wild mountain sheep or mountain goat or moose tags, larger than all others, bison are the leading prize in many regards. I'm going to enjoy the **** out of this hunt, and make it a family adventure, and toss that bison rug right on my couch where my suburban friends, all 3 of them, will have to hear about the story for the next 40 years.

Hopefully, you will get a message from me reminding you of this post in the next few years. Now, if I can get @ccc23454 and/or @375H&H and/or @SnowyMountaineer to help a NR in the wilderness…
If you get a Wyoming bison tag I would love nothing more than to accompany you in the wilderness and be a part of another hunt.

Be forewarned, you may get roped into the quest for a bull way up in sheep/goat country though. Something tells me you would be up for it.

If you get a Wyoming bison tag I would love nothing more than to accompany you in the wilderness and be a part of another hunt.

Be forewarned, you may get roped into the quest for a bull way up in sheep/goat country though. Something tells me you would be up for it.
Is this offer for @BAKPAKR only? Asking for myself....

Back