Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Why isn't it "Big 4"?

Bluffgruff

Are we purists to the point where WILD bison can't be part of the exclusive club?

I can see only including free range, drawn hunts as a part of renaming the subforum, but excluding bison completely seems un-American.

Last edited:
Haven't seen any huntable wild bison in CO lately.

I heard there was a push some years back to introduce them to Pinon Canyon, but the surrounding land owners pitched a fit about fence damage.

Does it really matter whether there is a big 3,4,5,6, or whatever?

Call it what you want. I just want to draw my bison tag.

We definitely do not need more publicity and competition for the very few tags there are.

Bison are stupid. They don’t taste good and are very inconvenient to pack out of the woods. Basically like shooting a feedlot steer. Which is why everyone should stop applying for tags and should shoot a feedlot steer or a ranch bison.

Well, I've got a tag for a wild one, and it's the hunt I'm most excited about this year, and maybe ever, after applying all over the place for the last 8 years. Sorry @Gerald Martin, but I want more advocates for wild herds, more AUMs bought out, more unhandled wild herds, and more opportunities. Bring them to the vast swaths of state and federal land in Eastern Colorado, via ballot box if needed!

Well, I've got a tag for a wild one, and it's the hunt I'm most excited about this year, and maybe ever, after applying all over the place for the last 8 years. Sorry @Gerald Martin, but I want more advocates for wild herds, more AUMs bought out, more unhandled wild herds, and more opportunities. Bring them to the vast swaths of state and federal land in Eastern Colorado, via ballot box if needed!
I missed it what tag did you draw, maybeUtah? Congrats

As much as I love them, I think it’s hard for most people to get caught up in the mystique of bison because they just seem so accessible. We hunters understand wild opportunities are few and far between, but the animal itself just isn’t that far out of reach. Bison burger can be found in restaurants and grocery stores scattered all over America, I’ve seen them in several zoos, and in countless ranch pastures all around the US. Heck, any unscrupulous redneck can go “hunt” one in Texas any day of the week. I can’t say that about any of the other Big 3. I may likely never touch or eat a sheep, goat or moose. Are domesticated moose, sheep and goats even a thing anywhere? While hunters can see the difference in the wild vs. domestic bison, average joe on the street unfortunately can’t.

As much as I love them, I think it’s hard for most people to get caught up in the mystique of bison because they just seem so accessible. We hunters understand wild opportunities are few and far between, but the animal itself just isn’t that far out of reach. Bison burger can be found in restaurants and grocery stores scattered all over America, I’ve seen them in several zoos, and in countless ranch pastures all around the US. Heck, any unscrupulous redneck can go “hunt” one in Texas any day of the week. I can’t say that about any of the other Big 3. I may likely never touch or eat a sheep, goat or moose. Are domesticated moose, sheep and goats even a thing anywhere? While hunters can see the difference in the wild vs. domestic bison, average joe on the street unfortunately can’t.
To be fair, you can shoot Dall sheep in Texas..

I'm with @Bluffgruff - I had lightning strike and will be roaming a little over a million acres of public to hopefully turn up a bull bison this fall- a bit different than whacking one from the ATV or truck.

I'm with @Bluffgruff - I had lightning strike and will be roaming a little over a million acres of public to hopefully turn up a bull bison this fall- a bit different than whacking one from the ATV or truck.
Congrats! West Yell or AB Wilderness? Montana I assume?

I had your hunt as my choice, then went back and changed it. You're welcome!

Those “Dall sheep” in TX are tough man, about as hard as shooting one of their bison. Toughest part of the hunt though is keeping the high fence out of the background in the trophy pic!

Best of luck to you on a true wild bison, I hope you share the story!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back