Why do you share markups?

onX Hunt

From waypoints to trails, for safety or just showing where camp is, there are hundreds of reasons to share markups in the onX Hunt app.
But we want to hear WHY you share markups or HOW sharing a markup has helped you on a hunt.
Let us know in this thread and we'll be picking 3 of our favorite answers to receive an Elite membership (all 50 states) free for 3 years!

Is there any way to toggle on/off the display on all markups or waypoints? Mostly for the fact that when I am showing people Onx for reference points or scouting, I would rather not show them all of the spots I have marked.

I share them for all kinds of reasons. They’re great for camp and water waypoints, game trails, blood trails, past productive hunting spots, and just cool points of interest in general. onX is a game changer!

Pretty simple why we share waypoints, we do lots and lots of pre planning before we ever step out, and it saves time. Being able to share waypoints, we both know who has been where, what they have seen, access points, wallows, animals, points of interests, and areas of interest. This pays even more dividends when we actually are out hunting when we split up. We get together at the end of the day, and share everything so we each know what was seen. Previosuly we had to manually look at each-others screens and hand jam all that in. By actually seeing all the information at once, we can then formulate the plane for the next day to be succesfull, other wise its, hey that ridge over there and that doesnt work. Great little feature thats saved us time.

I'm hunting in the special CWD hunt with a buddy above Great Falls. I outlined the special zone on OnX (different from what is currently offered) and shared that area so we are both on the same page and in the right area. Using OnX to do this helps us both have a better understanding of where we need to be scouting deer and partnering with biologists to better understand CWD's spread.

I use them a lot in the off season with hunting friends when we are E scouting / researching new places. The text a waypoint feature is really nice for this. It got my hunting partner to join after he saw how nice the App was.

During season it is great to mark game and kill sites. Especially when it’s dark and you have to make several trips.

My best share was this years elk. Shared the waypoint with my wife who found a nearby parking spot (but not the one I was parked at) and hiked in a couple miles with our dogs and hauled out a hindquarter leaving me with just the head for my last load.

So people know where to look for my body, when I don't return.
I hear ya on that. I did not do it, but that last few years that I hunted cow elk in the rough country between Thermopolis and Cody, Wyoming, I figured that the only thing that would find my old ass was a grizzly, or a wolf. I quit that rough stuff. Not a bad idea to use the technology to help find your body!:unsure: :p

Awesome examples so far! We'll be taking stories through the weekend and pick winners at the beginning of next week.

Lying about where I'm hunting has never been so convenient.....

It is a great tool for when people ask about certain hunting areas that I have knowledge of, and want to help point them in the right direction. Often I'll suggest areas I think would be good and want to see, but have not yet scouted myself. Good for them because it gives them a solid starting point to check out. Good for me as I trust they will share some info on the area.

Last edited:
So people know where to look for my body, when I don't return.
Same here. I have only shared one waypoint that wasn't to my wife showing my stand location.

Last edited:
My seasonal was good at getting stuck this year. It helped my blood pressure when I just told her to "share" her waypoint to "hunt" her down.

I am all too familiar with this struggle. I showed mine how to use a hi-lift jack and they looked at me like I was launching a space craft.

My buddy and I share a lot of waypoints when we are discussing plans via text. It helps the conversation along to just send him a point.

Side note to sharing waypoints I have one new feature I like and one I don't

Like: That I get the option to just go to a waypoint he sends me but not save it. I love not having to delete the waypoints or deal with the clutter

Dislike: You can't edit shared waypoints. If he marks a point with a certain color or icon but I use a different one to mark whatever the spot is I can't change it to be consistent with my other points.

It was great for e-scouting prior to a hunt with my father who lives 60o miles away- I can just share locations so we can talk about them and know we're both on the same page.

I like being able to share my waypoints with my kids that are away at school. It is nice to have them be apart of the hunt when they cant really be there. They like being in the loop as well. I also have used it to help a buddy that drew a permit in an area that I had info on. It was a real time saver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back