Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Why do I hunt: shanks

Yall better pay me big bucks to get me in a suit a tie. Shanks are great. I like them cooked in my slow cooker. Lots of onion and whole garlic cloves. A few bay leaves and sometimes BBQ sauce. Good.

To the OP: Is this the recipe you used? https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/hunting-recipe-braised-venison-shanks-garlic/272642
Glad I found this thread as I was about to start a new one. I need help. I tried an osso bucco recipe from MeatEater this weekend on my antelope shanks, and they were not awful, but the tissue did not break down well and was a little rubbery. I do not own a dutch oven so I was using the stove top recipe. I started by sawing them into discs, browning, and then cooking in stock, tomato paste, white wine and herbs. The instructions were to bring stock to a boil, then reduce to a bare simmer. Unfortunately even on low heat on the smallest burner, I came back in a little while to check and the liquid was boiling? Was it simply just cooking too hot and fast that prevented proper cooking? I've also tried making them in the crock pot and they seem to turn out even worse, even when cooking on the lowest setting. I'm hoping the issue is that I'm just cooking with too much heat? I don't want to give up on making shanks yet.

To the OP: Is this the recipe you used? https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/hunting-recipe-braised-venison-shanks-garlic/272642
Glad I found this thread as I was about to start a new one. I need help. I tried an osso bucco recipe from MeatEater this weekend on my antelope shanks, and they were not awful, but the tissue did not break down well and was a little rubbery. I do not own a dutch oven so I was using the stove top recipe. I started by sawing them into discs, browning, and then cooking in stock, tomato paste, white wine and herbs. The instructions were to bring stock to a boil, then reduce to a bare simmer. Unfortunately even on low heat on the smallest burner, I came back in a little while to check and the liquid was boiling? Was it simply just cooking too hot and fast that prevented proper cooking? I've also tried making them in the crock pot and they seem to turn out even worse, even when cooking on the lowest setting. I'm hoping the issue is that I'm just cooking with too much heat? I don't want to give up on making shanks yet.

Likely cooking too fast. Get a slow cooker rather than a crock pot. There is a difference. Crock pots bring up the heat way too fast. Slow cookers do it gradually. I cook them like roasts and they come up nice and tender.

Back