Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wild Turkey Ramen

RG_Adult_Onset_Hunter

This is not the ramen that you grew to detest when you were too poor to eat anything else. This ramen is so rich and complex that you will find yourself craving it shortly after your finish the first bowl. I lean pretty heavily on Vietnamese and Thai flavor profiles for this ramen. The dish is sweet, savory, sour, spicy, and refreshing in a way that is just downright surprising if you have never tried this type of food. The dish also lends itself quite well to variation, whatever veggies or meat you have on hand will probably work out fine. The best part is, it works well with the toughest part of the turkey, the drumstick.

IMG_2304 (2).JPG

• 1-4 Thai chile peppers seeded and thinly sliced
  • 2 Chimayo peppers seeded and thinly sliced
  • 1-2 turkey drumsticks (depending on the size of bird)
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 medium onion minced
  • 1 tbsp ginger
  • ½ tbsp sweet paprika
  • ½ tbsp freshly crushed coriander
  • 1-2 cups of bite-sized vegetables (carrots and snap peas are my go to)
  • 2-3 Tbsp of the GOOD fish sauce. I would not feed the cheap fish sauce to my mortal enemy, while the good stuff adds a certain funkiness that you will miss if absent. Red Boat makes some of the best I have found.
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium or skip it)
  • 1 lime
  • A shot glass of red wine vinegar (you can use rice-wine vinegar to keep it a bit more authentic, I just like the flavor profile of the red-wine)
  • Several sprigs of chopped cilantro
  • 3 packages of decent ramen with the flavor packet removed. Bulk ramen would be a good choice if you start making this a lot, but if not Koyo makes good noodles.

Simmer the garlic, drumsticks, onion and peppers in a large stockpot full of water. This is best done low and slow over the course of several hours if you have them. If needed add water to keep the drums covered. When done the drumsticks should have a short of silky quality to them. Pick the meat from the bone and the connective tissue that did not melt. Mix with the cilantro and set aside.

Turn the heat up on the broth, and add the veggies, fish sauce, soy sauce and the spices. If you were to do this right you would cook the ramen separately and add the broth to the bowls on top of the ramen. I rarely do this and end up boiling the ramen when I figure the veggies are almost done. Finish with the lime juice, vinegar, cilantro, and turkey.

Back