Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Why do I hunt: shanks

jryoung

There are so many things one can make from a beast we've killed, but I have to put shanks at the top of my list. Don't get me wrong, I love big hunks of medium rare backstrap, roasted ball tip sirloin, grilled heart and tongue tacos. There's just something about chemistry of the maillard reaction and the amalgamation of muscle tissue, connective tissue, bone and marrow together with savory herbs and spices coupled with an acidic base of tomato and wine. It's so simple, nearly impossible to screw up but has every opportunity to taken to awesome levels of deliciousness. I didn't much other than use Hank Shaw's recipe here, I used white wine for the first time as I had used red previously, and increased the veggie ratio a bit too. The syrah and cabernet battle didn't suck either.IMG_20200208_184428.jpg

Looks good. I would add necks too. I braised a mule deer neck on Sunday. Shredded it then made a BBQ style sauce to soak it in.

Love the shanks and necks.

I would wear a suit. But no tie. I can't handle those anymore.

For all the hype I've still never done this. I need to make it a point to cut some next season.

Out of laziness I have only properly cooked shanks once because of the extra work of cutting them into sections. Very delicious. I have many saved for this have given some away to others that will properly appreciate it. But in times of surplus meat and limited space I have deboned the shanks and put them in the crock pot until fork tender. Not as good as the Hank Shaw and similar recipies, but you still appreciate the unique flavor and texture of the meat.

Out of laziness I have only properly cooked shanks once because of the extra work of cutting them into sections. Very delicious. I have many saved for this have given some away to others that will properly appreciate it. But in times of surplus meat and limited space I have deboned the shanks and put them in the crock pot until fork tender. Not as good as the Hank Shaw and similar recipies, but you still appreciate the unique flavor and texture of the meat.
I've done them whole, on the bone. A little tricky to get seared all the way, but delicious and you still get the gelatin from the bones.

This presentation is definitely better though!

This recipe also works very well if you throw the shanks (can do them whole) on the smoker for an hour or two before going into the Dutch Oven.

I'm going to try the white wine technique with the next batch.

Growing up, and for the longest time our celebration of the kill dinner was simple butter-fried in a cast iron pan butterflied tenderloin.....still among my favorites.

A few years back I started slow cooking and pressure cooking full shanks from deer, elk, and pronghorn. MAN!!! I regret throwing 3 decades of shanks in the grind pile. The recipes for the meat you end up with are endless, and the flavor beats all other cuts of meat.

My current favorite is pronghorn shank red coconut curry with peppers over jasmine rice. Now I’m hungry.

There are so many things one can make from a beast we've killed, but I have to put shanks at the top of my list. Don't get me wrong, I love big hunks of medium rare backstrap, roasted ball tip sirloin, grilled heart and tongue tacos. There's just something about chemistry of the maillard reaction and the amalgamation of muscle tissue, connective tissue, bone and marrow together with savory herbs and spices coupled with an acidic base of tomato and wine. It's so simple, nearly impossible to screw up but has every opportunity to taken to awesome levels of deliciousness. I didn't much other than use Hank Shaw's recipe here, I used white wine for the first time as I had used red previously, and increased the veggie ratio a bit too. The syrah and cabernet battle didn't suck either.View attachment 127868

Id have to say Cabernet would win that battle!
Looks like an awesome meal JR!
Elk? Deer?
Due to this I will be saving the whole shank for trail/error.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back