Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Who's shooting a 45-70?

Nothing wrong with that! That's a mighty fine buck. Hope to find one just like him in the next 21 days.

Thank you. my Shoulder didn’t enjoy getting it dialed in, but it sure is a blast once it gets there.

I wish they would commit to the loading gate and get rid of that silly looking tube port.
Same. Was totally against the Henry’s first centerfire models without the loading gate. Then they added one bit left the tube loading. Makes no sense to me.

If you’re a reloader the lever revolution bullets look pretty impressive. I’ve not shot them but the ballistics and expansion look solid

I’m a purist on it. 70 grains of 2F, 405 grain cast bullet and a magnum primer. But that’s not for everyone👍

Congrats on the new rifle

What a great thread. Love the gun and caliber. So much history. I only use mine for spring bear. I shoot quite a bit using skinner sight. I limit my shots to 100 on animals. Which just the decision you make, a couple times I've wished I had my '06 when I had to let bears walk away.

Can you use Marlin 1895 load data in the Henry? I would think so, it is obviously not a Springfield Trapdoor action, but don't know what Henry says. If so, I would try 250 or 300 gr Barnes TSX FN.

Yes, I read that. I don't know much about it, but I would expect that QC will be pretty good. Every Ruger I've owned had been very precise machines.

Forgot to mention in my photo tour above that preferred ammo is a light Hornady factory 250 grain mono-metal....1 moa.....but limited to 200 yards for larger game as energy drops rapidly......Calif limits us to lead free/expanding....so can't be too picky when hunting in-state.

This may ruffle feathers but I can’t convince myself to put a scope on my 1895sbl. I never saw the Duke have one so I hesitate with the idea of a scope on top of a Marlin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my 45-70 guide gun. Lot of fun for the reloader because you can do so much with it. So far I have only reloaded with 405 grain. I have a nice easy shooting load that is accurate. I have a max load for some shoulder busting fun, although I do not trust it past 50 yards at best. But it is a hoot to shoot. Especially for those who have never shot it before.

Back