Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Who’s building arrows yet?

Are you sanding the inside of the shafts first before gluing in the inserts?

I'm in the middle of building some FMJ 300's that will be around 525 grains all finished up!
No I wipes them out with a a tip and alcohol, maybe that was my problem. Haven’t gotten a chance to regluw them yet.

I’ve built arrows a long time. All tapered cedar nowadays but I’ve made plenty of carbon, aluminum in the past.
One thing I enjoy is splicing feathers on em. It can be practicable also. If I use say blue and chartreuse on one, the next gets chartreuse and blue. If I use two somewhere I know which was which shot. You can mix it up further. Hey to simplify you could sharpie shaft w numbers as well. The bitzenberger advice is good it’s all I’ve used since the 80s.
When I make arrows however I don’t sit there and make up a batch for fall say.
I’ll stain and finish the dozen just in pieces of time I have and once it comes time to glue feathers I’ll do it between whatever else I’m doing so a feather goes on every 15 mins of more. Totally dry before I move clamp. A day or so they’re all done. Think too many issues occur when feathers are removed too quickly but I know lots of guys do that.
I use full length feathers and on top of splicing getting them to size and shape I find enjoyable.. Another aspect to it is dipping, cresting, even a simple wrap adds more of us into the arrow. First deer taken with one you made yourself is a great event. Good luck with em
I've been shooting traditional for 6 years but will be making my first wood arrows this winter.

Guess I was asking where ya got em? I used to use kustom king. I like tapered shafts for various reasons. They don’t make tapered anymore. I now use Wapiti. I could taper them myself but I do lots manually and that’s one thing less for now. Not gonna kill me. I’ve also heard good things bout surewood shafts.
Just wondering who you were getting shafts from.

Guess I was asking where ya got em? I used to use kustom king. I like tapered shafts for various reasons. They don’t make tapered anymore. I now use Wapiti. I could taper them myself but I do lots manually and that’s one thing less for now. Not gonna kill me. I’ve also heard good things bout surewood shafts.
Just wondering who you were getting shafts from.
I actually got them from a guy here in Great Falls that has been making arrows since the 70's. He's getting long in the tooth and doesn't make them anymore so selling everything off. I traded him a bunch of finished arrows I had no use for the components to make a dozen to fit my bow. I am going to taper them but haven't got the tools yet to do it.

Season starts October 15th. I’m about to put some together. 3 fletch with a left helical, cause that’s the way my arrow wants to go.

Should be around 440 grains traveling at 285 fps with 12% foc.

What happened to your nock?
I’m not sure what happened to it. It was an illuminated Glory nock. In practice they worked great but when I shot a deer it disintegrated and it never lit up. A peice of it was stuck in the shaft.

I’m not sure what happened to it. It was an illuminated Glory nock. In practice they worked great but when I shot a deer it disintegrated and it never lit up. A peice of it was stuck in the shaft.

Dang, that sux. I don’t like the weight of them, but I do love seeing them light up heading towards my buck. Maybe it was just a fluke.

You probably already know this trick but just thread a wood screw into the broken nock to pull it out of the shaft

You probably already know this trick but just thread a wood screw into the broken nock to pull it out of the shaft
I didn’t know that trick thanks for sharing. I wasnt sure if that nock damaged the end of the arrow or not. I made the mistake of looking at a photo of a blown up carbon arrow going through someone’s hand and now I have an extreme fear of it. I just played it safe and threw it in the junk arrow pile.

I just got back into archery after being away for about 15 years. I plan on buying the Last Chance jig. Had Arizona Archery Club build my first dozen to get me started and see where I got from here.

Victory VAP Elite 250 shafts
Victory VAP 95 grain inserts
Kudu 150 grain single bevel fixed blade
Nocturnal Nocks Green
AAE Max Stealth vanes pink 2.5”
Weight 575
FOC 17.2
Arrow shaft CTC 29.625

Back