Caribou Gear Tarp

Who's a coonhunter?

josh

I know this is the Cats/bears forum but since there are so many new guys Im wondering how many coon hunters are here? Oh yea, I meant to ask some of you guys out west if ya even have coon out there?

Josh,
I coon hunt down here in NC. Plan (hope) to get into bear hunting with my hounds here this fall.

WoodMoose

hi Josh,
I hunt coons a bit, like to coonhunt ta "tune" my hounds before cougar season.Use coons to train puppies, gets 'em started real good on the basics.I enjoy settin' around on a warm evenin' listenin' to the dogs and shootin' the breeze.I doubt if the coon are as abundant around here as they are in most of the east, but most of our coons average bout 60-75 lbs.,run like an antelope,swim like a trout, and fight like a catamount!!.....LOLOL..j/k

------------------

preserve our legacy...take a youngster hunting

Woodmouse welcome!!!! And Doggone too! We dont have many coon here but we hunt one now and then. Like Dogegone we used to hunt the coons to tune the dogs in for lion, but I guess we got them all. We dont have much here for a coon to eat. They get in the grainery every now and then and sometimes in the garden corn patch but not too often. I used to love to coon hunt when we had more of them! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

I coon hunt all the time.We dont have any bear or cats in Indiana.I hunt English Coon hounds.I have 3 hounds right now.My hounds all go back to Flowers breeding.

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

Hahahahah! I alost spit my cherrios all over the 'pewter..........75# COON!!!! Hi woodoose & doggone! Some of the best coon hunting in the world is right here in the Mississippi river valey! Since the crash of the fur market there are more coon than you can shake a stick at! Hey Engman, Bet your like me, and would someday like to hunt one of those big cats too?

Josh I almost lost it too reading your post! I dint catch the 75 pound coon thing, but that is funny! Heck thats almost as big as a bear!hehehe Not saying it isnt true, I just never seen one bigger than abour 40 pounds and he was a lunker for this area! BCAT

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

A big cat with hounds is definatly on my list.I caught the 75lb coon thing too.I just wasn't going to say anything.Ain't no reason to make fun of someone just because they have small coon in their area.
wink.gif

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

Hi woodoose & doggone,
Yup, y'all fellers can count me in as a serious coon hunter! used to handle many hounds at the nite hunts, but that was many moons ago!
I am just a tree dog man at heart! Noting get my blood pumping like a hard tree bark
smile.gif

Got to put a few up the tree this year and ran a few small cats in the carolina's, but had a fantastic time trying to cut out on the HUGE MONSTER Tom B'cat and I spent 6 days working across 4 mountain ranges!
I have my Wyoming 2001 tag and will be doing it again this year with b'cat on a different set of mountains!
Thump

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

I am a coon hunter and proud of it. I sure would like to get on some of those big boar coons in that 70 pounds range though. They don't get quite that large in my neck of the woods, but we have got plenty of bobcat and coon sneaking about the woods.

Hey Josh Im from North Carolina also and Ive coon hunted all my life. Me and my father have pro hunted for years. He's been to the world hunt in Kentucky for alot of years now but hes about out of it. Im looking for a good young started dog now. DO ya know of any?

Justin, If ya dont find a dog before spring, I just put my registered walker male in with my female walker/bluetic cross tonihght. They should have pups in 60 days and in another 60 be ready to go. WOuldnt have any training but I would guarantee they would be good dogs. In a year from now they would be treeing their own coons with a little work. Just an offer, there are lots of dogs out there, and I wish ya luck. I just sent two of my dogs to Texas, that were started, and am fresh out or I would be glad to help ya get started. There is a certain amount of pride in starting and finishing your own dogs and taking critters with the same. When I started people laughed at me and said it would be years before I treed my own lion. They werent laughing 4 months later after we had treed 4 lions and killed one! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

Justin, I have a 4 month old walker female right now,but theres no way I could sell her{shes upstairs sleeping with my son as I type} I would have 3 prety angry kids on my hands!! Maybe you could try coonhound ceteral, they almost always have started dogs for sale and you might be able to find one in your area. I would agree with bcat, a BIG part of the enjoyment in hunting with hounds is all the hard work and training, when it finally all comes together, It is very gratifying..

bcat know what ya mean about breaking your own dogs Ive broke alot of them with my dad. We've hunted alot of different kinds of hounds. Id like to find me a little female black and tan and try to break her I've had Walkers,Blueticks,Black and Tans,English and my cousin her always had Redbones so weve hunted just about all the ones that make some of the best coondogs. I havent done it in awhile and would like to get back to doing that as soon as I could get a decent pup started. Well Thanks BCat for the offer.

I just walked in the door from coon hunting and I need to brag a little.Treed 7 coons tonight!Man what a hunt.Had 4 coons up one tree.Treed 7 and killed 2.Now as far as knowing where there is a good dog for sale,I dont.But I'll keep my ears open.If I was gonna get a black and tan I would probably check into some of them dogs Gene Hicks has got.I heard he has some good ones.He advertises in the magazines.

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

Justin,
I'm down in Raeford by the Rockfish Creek Coon club. Don't know of any started dogs for sale, but like was mentioned earlier, there is a lot at Coonhound Central.

WoodMoose

I, too am an NC coonhunter. We are becoming very scarce here in the eastern part of the state, but there are still a few around. I hunt with one walker male that I raised from a puppy. He is off of a ***** that belonge to a friend of mine when I started coonhunting about 8 years ago. I'll be the first to admit that he's not the greatest dog, but he is one of that low percentage that will tree coons. It's good to hear from other coonhunters and I'm glad I found this forum, it's about the best I've seen.

Walker man what part of N.C. do you live We need to get together sometime and do some hunting. I live in Reidsville its in between Greensboro and Danville Va.

Walker Man,
Were you at in the east? I went last night and didn't do squat. Coon are right scarce sometimes, especially with my mess that I hunt
smile.gif

I'm looking at trying my hand at the bear next year. Been a member of the NC Bear Hunters Assn for a couple of years and haven't gone yet (been out of state on military business). Probably won't do much good, but I'll have fun anyhow!

WoodMoose

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back