PEAX Equipment

Who Shed Hunts?

YoungBuck

How many of us in here get out and shed hunt during the off season? I usually get out about every weekend from about December to around March when everything is pretty much picked over.
This last year was the best year that my dad and I have ever had picking up sheds.....Started off finding the most fresh sheds we have ever found....around 70.....biggest being a 83 5/8" shed with awesome mass and a 3" dropper along with a 27" mainbeam.
After all the fresh ones were becoming pretty sparce we headed for a new area where we knew we could find some older ones and maybe some fresh ones....so far we are around 250-300.....The biggest being a typical shed that goes over 93" with G2 being a little over 20" and the G3 and G4 being 15" each.
How has everyone else done so far this year?
Here are some pics of some sheds we have found so far.
Awesome_Day.jpg

scan0007.jpg

The last pic is of our best elk shed day....The biggest is a 7 point that would be off about a 340" bull...the shed is last years so the bull may still be alive for us to find some bigger sheds off of.
scan0008.jpg

YB

I started last year YB Im only 16 . Went out 3 times to this spot . I got 8 fresh 30 old ones . Its not as good as you did . But it was a start ,and im hooked . Well this season I plan on going to alot of spots , and gettting more . That one your dad got is amazing did you see him this past hunt ? I like the fresh elk set very brown. Where you shedhunting what state ?

later , hunter cameron

I shed hunt in Idaho. What state do you shed hunt in? Sounds like you found a pretty good spot....not many places you can find fresh and old ones in anymore.
YB

I shed hunt the wasatch front in utah I went around to a few spots . I was beaten to a really good one . But next year ill be out . Is there any competition over there to get to a spot first? Where in Idaho you at ?

later , hunter cameron

Nice YoungBuck. I shed hunt up in MT and in N. Idaho. Dont find that many in several years though, you have got a great spot for sure! Keep it up, hope to see some pics this winter of your new finds!

YoungBuck,
I normally only go shed hunting a couple times a year. Most years I find most of my sheds when I am actually hunt. This year I only went out shed hunting one day for about 3 hours and found 4 muley antlers. None of them came from bucks that would score over 180" but one of them had some good mass and a few trash points. While hunting this fall I have only found 2 antlers and both were just average sized 3 points (4 points for you eastern guys ;) ). If I didn't like to fish so much I'm sure I would spend a lot more time searching the hills.

hunter cameron,
If you look at the upper right hand corner of young bucks post you can see that he is from Fruitland which is as close to Boise as Sandy is to Salt Lake.

Shed hunting is where I spend most of the year. I am like you YB, its a year round hobby. Good to see you over here posting pictures. I know you have a few more pics...Lets see em!!
Roanright04.jpg

peekaboofresh2.jpg

Peekaboofresh1.jpg

peekaboo03.jpg

P2140084.jpg

NARIfresh2.jpg

NARIfresh1.jpg

NARI03asitlaid.jpg

Longdistanceshed.jpg

Hey Browtine,
Seen your "mug" on the Screaming Bulls 3 video last night..
Looks like your going big time...LOL
Congrats on the big time!!
Great sheds too..

hunter cameron,
I mostly fish for trout but I also target bass, panfish, sturgeon and anything else that swims in Eastern Idaho. I spend a fair amount of time fly fishing but probably spend more time using a spinning or baitcasting rod. I also like to shoot carp with my bow.

Ok I would like to go shed hunting, but honestly don't know where to look for them. Are they usually hiden deep in the woods are can you find them just about anywhere you walk? I so far out of the 3 years I have started hunting have never found any. I would love to find some antlers and keep them back and use them for rattling and such. I know this is a stupid question But I had to ask it anyway.
old-boss-hen :eek:

to find sheds...you need to find where deer winter. deer usually drop here sheds in january and february.(out west) Some deer dont drop until march. It all depends on the deer. So, find a winter range and make sure the deer are there when its time to shed. Then get out and start walking bedding areas, and feeding areas. I have no clue when the whitetails dump. I would suspect creek beds and timber is a good place to start.. look for areas with a large population of deer. Sorry I am not more help, I wish you the best of luck.

Nice pics guys. I found an entire black tail rack yesterday out hunting. Part of the skull is missing but its still intact as soon as I get pics taken I'll try and get them on the site.
Quick Draw

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back