Yeti GOBOX Collection

Who makes a Synthetic material Wall Tent?

windymtnman

I'm in the mood to buy a synthetic material wall tent, rather than a canvas one. I'd like to have a tent a bigger than a 3 man dome tent, as we pack our gear on horses, and yet don't want the bulk, weight, and even size of a typical wall tent. Also,they are just too much to put up for just a night or two.
Seems to me, I recall some companies making synthetic, (nylon and similar) fabric tents in a wall tent type design. I can't see to find on the internet though. I thought Cabela's sold some, but I don't see them now.

Does anyone know of a company that makes them?

Montana canvas out of Belgrade. They use a product call "realite" or something to that affect. They say it is a lot lighter but not as durable or watertight. Check them out, I have their 12x15 and love it. Get a floor.

Eureka makes some nice 4 and 5 person tents. The only problem is that most of them are two and three season tents and won't hold up to a heavy snow. I have used one when I am hunting areas from the truck and have had a couple inches of snow on mine, but I wouldn't want to be caught in a big late season snow storm. I suppose you could have a tarp over the top that is supported from above by ropes so that the frame will not have to hold the snows additional weight.

Last edited:
Love my Alaknak from cabelas. Does well in all seasons. Works best with a wood stove instead of propane. Otherwise you get condensation raining down

My mother has worked at Montana canvas for 25 years. there ultra light canvas is a very good product. they had quality issues with it in the past. I believe they have switch to a little heavier canvas now that should hold up better.

My parents have covers fro their dog kennels made from MT Canvas's relite. They have been on the kennels in the Bozeman area for about 4-5 years constantly. Rain, wind, shine, hail, wind, more wind, snow... They hold up very well and keep the dogs dry. I can't speak to it in a wall tent, but if they can go 4-5 years with constant exposure, I'd figure it will be a reliable material for a tent.

I have a Montana canvas spike III tent in relite. My dad has the full canvas version. The relite is much lighter weight and easier for one person to setup, but less durable. In my experience, the relite is pretty weather proof but you have to have the fly pitched super tight and it cant contact the tent roof. Under heavy rain/snow it will start to pass water to the inside. the flip side of this is that is breathes pretty well so I've never had condensation issues despite cooking and drying sopping clothes out next to the stove. It makes a fine home away from home.

What about a Seek Outside 12man Tipi. If you are going from a 3 man dome, the 12 or even 8 person should be plenty sufficient. The 12 man with screen doors and a XXL titanium stove is 20lbs and will fit in a pannier with room to spare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back