Who Loves White Birds?

This YouTube video whets my appetite for my upcoming snow goose hunt for March 2013 in S.Dakota. My wife, a friend and I bought the hunt at a DU function from Mat Schauer of Northern Skies Outfitters. We have never hunted the white birds, but we are looking forward to a fun productive trip.

Hunting snows is the ultimate game in the world of waterfowl. While many call them sky carp, they are hands down the toughest bird to consistently decoy. Not too mention setting out over 1000 fullbodies 2-3 times per week keeps everyone on their toes.

The Missouri Flyway is pretty amazing too. The sky carp used to shut down Eppley Airfield once upon a time. Still may. They are fun, and are hard to decoy, that is for sure.

The Missouri Flyway is pretty amazing too. The sky carp used to shut down Eppley Airfield once upon a time. Still may. They are fun, and are hard to decoy, that is for sure.

flyways22.jpg

which flyway is the Missouri Flyway? :D

I love hunting snows, lots of fun. I have gone up to Canada a couple of times to partake.

Nemont

Where the tourqouise and the yellow come together brother. SW IA = try percival / hamburg area.

Just got back from Sask. a couple of weeks ago. To think you know what a "white tornado" is and then actually seeing that many white birds funneling down from all elevations is unbelievable. The sound is ear shattering as they circle.

Tough to decoy but when things come together - chit happpens at an unbelievable speed.

Had a number of singles come in right on the deck and performing like a kamakazie pilot on their pass. Hell - I've shot morning doves that couldn't do what them white geese did.

Smomething special about Snows, a true wild bird. We even have a fair number winter here

Attachments

• 12Snows08 002.jpg
    12Snows08 002.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 366
I find snows more of a pain in the arse than something "special" to hunt....but they are damn awesome when actually responding to a spread and tornado in....never kilt more than 150 of them in a day....but we had four guns....

snows

I Like Hunting Them To Been On Pacific Flyway Done Good On Specks And Snows In Tule Lake Lower Klamath Area 2 Snows Bands This Year Going Next Week For More Fun Good Luck Gord RAM4G

they are in MT by the thousands (maybe tens of thousands) around Freeze Out Lake this weekend. Lots of swans in the area too.

they are in MT by the thousands (maybe tens of thousands) around Freeze Out Lake this weekend. Lots of swans in the area too.

Quite a few laying dead on the ice as well. Pisses me off that guys walked away without picking up birds they killed.:(

We shot 8 snows in the field Sunday morning. The one flock that came in decoyed like they had never seen a decoy before.

Every field from Glasgow to Malta had little honkers and snows in them. Yesterday afternoon the white geese were flying all day.

Nemont

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back