Who likes Bear meat ?

Moosie

Grand poopa
And how do you cook it ?

I've done breakfast sausage, salami sticks, and tried just eating them. I've heard of canning them and a few other ways. Just wondering what everyone else does ? (Besides give it away ;) )

Some of it depends on who process's the bear, have had breakfast sausage that was crap from one place, good at another. I really like the breakfast sausage and can put it in a # of different things, my favorite would be sausage mixed in with rice and some cream of musroom baked into a casserole. Alot depends on the the processer and what they mix in with it, giving it good flavor or crappy bland bear taste.

hump I like it I make my meat into pepper sticks but if you want to eat like the back straps cook it on a grill do not cook it in its fat tast like :BLEEP:

I had some sausuge from Foggy Mountain, Maine......OK, but blahhhhh

Rice, red beans, and bear; Crook pot; was pretty good.

My Ex made some broiled, shredded neck, then sauted Garlic, peppers, onion, beef stock & Capers, served on a Kaiser bun, that went down pretty easy. ;)

White Mountain Reservation, AZ, Apache Burrito's.... hump :D :p Ya had to be there !! :BLEEP: GOOD!!!!!

Moosie I soak it in a teriyaki sauce then dutch oven it. Cook it slow with small amounts of coals. Yummy. I also fry it which does dry it out. I cut it up myself and it has no fat at all. Trim all fat off.
Bear meat is the only meat I can eat a ton of it. Callinallelk cooked up some good elk steaks last year at the ISB Jamboree that was awesome.

I had a bear roast from a young spring bear. I cooked it on the smoker and it was about the best roast I have ever eaten in my life. The bear went, live weight, about 100 pounds. It was tender and very delicious.

My block headed 80 pound boar from a few years ago was nasty. I cut it into stew sized chunks, crock potted it with onion, garlic, mushroom and sourcream, served over rice. It stunk up the house bad. My wife wouldn't touch it. I tried it and it was really bad.

Tried to give the leftovers to the dog and she growled at it.

Not ME.

We grilled the backstraps and steaks off of a three footer a few years ago, after about 4 beers per man, and the three footer being dead about 2 hours. it was not too bad. the outhouse did get a workout the next morning though.

Moosie.....having grown up in the North Carolina mountains during the war years with 16 cousins and 3 Aunts (all the menfolk were in the service) black bear meat was an ongoing staple (we were way back in the hills to use ration books). So, I naturally grew up loving it, as well as all wild meat. It needs to be trimmed of all the fat you can get off, marinate, marinate, marinate! Bear meat loaf, bear stew, bear sausage, bear steaks (cook on a rack) bear lasagna, bear steaks, bear roast, baked bear, the list goes on and on....just don't eat it rare, especially spring bear. Bon Apetite!

The best way to deal with bear is to can it. The fat comes out of the meat and rises to the top of the jar like parafin on top of jelly. Use carrots, onions and spices when you can it. Make sure you know how to can meat. It's not hard, just be careful. That's a real good way to deal with any wild meat. I also love canned fish. Canned trout or salmon is great. Ever had trout salad (like tuna salad)?

Moosie,
A friend of mine that's a gunbuilder here in town always wants bear meat. He's originally from Hungary and makes Hungarian goulash. I have never had his goulash but if it's anything like his gunwork, it's likely very good.
WD

WHOC.......I have made bear jerky, but only from the leanest meat from the bear. Fatty meats like bear generally make poor jerky since it is possible that the fat will go rancid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back