Who hunts the high country?

Timberline

I'm sure theres a few people on here who like to chase those big high country bucks. I really enjoy going after those big bucks here in the high country of western wyoming, but I also like going down low to the sage and quakie trees when my legs get worn out from death marches as 10,000 feet. So lets here it guys what states and areas do you guys like chaseing timberline bucks in?

in unit 10 in nevada just south of elko a bit.
in the tops of the ruby mountains around hole in the mountain.

I have seen more 30"+ bucks up there than I have seen any where else including the arizona strip.

Hopefully I will be in H (Wyoming) again this season. Certainly some awesome country and maybe this time I can hold out for a bruiser.

I am also going to try the MT high country this year unless I draw my special unit which is on the east side of the state.

Where I hunt here in Idaho, we top out at around 9300 feet but also hunt a lot in the sagebrush flats for big bucks. A majority of the big boys hang out high but have seen a bunch down low too. I have yet to shoot a big bruiser but my dad, uncles and grandpa have shot a bunch of 30+" bucks in all types of terrain in Idaho....back in the good old days, of course!!

I have a sweet spot above 9K feet in unit 43. I've seen some real nice bucks up there but haven't been able to connect. In fact, I missed a 30" buck in 2001 up there. He was standing less than 50 yards from where I killed a nice 25" 4x4 the year before. It was one of those ironic situations where you return to a honey hole with your imagination running on high the whole way up the mountain. Ever since I dumped the 25" buck I couldn't wait to get back to this canyon and when I did, sure enough, a dandy buck was waiting there for me. But, I missed him!

That miss ate me alive for almost 2 years but after some counseling, I think I'm finally over it. :0

Then to top it off, last year I made a last minute trip up to the same canyon "Over the Top" as we call it. It was the last weekend before general season mule deer closed. Less than a minute after I crossed the top I located a couple does'. I knew a buck had to be close this late in the season. Then like clock work he appeared. A nice 27" tall mature Idaho mountain buck. Boy was I stoked!

He had no idea I was there. Nobody was around to bother him and it was like 08:00 in the morning. And, he was feeding towards me. I could see him on my wall before I even took off my pack frame.

I quickly ranged him at 450 yards. Decided to close the distance another 100 since I had some great cover and the stalk would be easy. 10 minutes later I watched him and the does' feed into a small group of trees. The trees ranged 350 yards.

SNORT!! The wind had picked up and was blowing my scent across the canyon right towards the deer. SNORT!! The lead doe warned again. She knew something was wrong. There sick sense of danger is amazing.

It was now or never I told myself and as soon as the buck stepped out I was going to pull the hammer on my 7mag.

No show. No show. The does' started heading up the canyon without the buck. Then I saw him. He had snuck away with his head down and was now out past 400 yards. I cracked one off when he turned broadside and honestly don't know where I hit. A few rounds later and he was over the ridge.

I went looking for blood to no avail. MAN! I think I will need another year of counseling on this buck before I will get over him. I'm starting to wonder what "Over the Top" is really doing to me!

Thanks for letting me vent!

But on another note. I was fortunate to find several really good low country bucks during a late season open archery unit. This helped with the counseling and has me jacked about this fall. On the last day, December 19th, I saw 11 bucks, 6 of which were 4-points or better and one with a trashy side. I think there were something like 65 does. It was like hunting on a deer farm! I made a great stalk but my arrow hit a sage brush on what would have been a respectable 20" 4x4.

Next year...Wait, this year!

bulldown

Timberline,
I'm way overdue for a good muley hunt, but it probably will not happen this year. Other priorities! -memtb

I like the hard power hikes up into the highest places just because they are there and I haven't seen them all yet... :D :D :D

To me, any legal animal taken when hunting alone with backpack and rifle is much more of a trophy and far more memorable than anything shot on an outfitted-guided hunt. I have hunted with a couple of the most famous outfits in B.C., yet, I much prefer to bust my butt hiking into the high country after game, usually solo.

At 57+, this is a bit harder than it used to be, so, I just push myself that much more. It isn't the kill, many of which I turn down, it's just that special feeling, hard to capture in words.....

I love those high country bucks that live in the bowls above timber-line. With nothing more than my bow, backpack, and optics, I can sure make a great public land DIY hunt everlasting. Man, that sounded like an Eastman's Commercial.

BOHNTR )))------------->

For the last 28 years I have done literally nothing more than spend 3 to 4 weeks per year hunting big bucks above 9000 feet, what a deal.

Gets to be a little more than a passion I guess.

Since all of you can see by my number of posts I am new to this whole game, how do I get pictures posted out here and share them with you guys??

All you guys have trouble sleeping or what?

Back