Caribou Gear Tarp

Who has a snowmobile?

Elkwhisper

As I believe I mentioned in an earlier thread.... my daughter drew a West Yellowstone buffalo tag.

We have been busy with other tags so far, but with the snow flying and the season opening next week it is time to get serious about planning. I have scouted all the likely areas throughout the summer and feel pretty familiar with the area. Just waiting for some more snow a this point to push them out of the park.

Was planning on renting snowmobiles, but thought maybe there is someone in the Bozeman or West area that might have one or a couple that we could work a trade on for use. I am lucky enough to work in an industry that provides me with all the optics a guy could want or use... I have a pile of brand new stuff in my office that I would just assume give to a fellow huntalker if they can help with a little snow transport.

Know it's a long shot as nobody wants to loan equipment out, but I can't imagine the groomed trails arround West pose much risk of catastrophic disaster. So..... if anyone wants to try and work a deal for some binos, scopes or rangefinders hit me up via a PM. I have a trailer if need be....

Otherwise I'll stick with the rental plan but thought I would check here first.

Very quailified huntalker references provided on request...LOL!

Congrats to your daughter on the tag.

I had this tag last year.

Do you have any reports of any bison being out of the park?

Last edited:
Too far away or I would help you out. But I sure hope you write up the story of the hunt!

Best of luck to your daughter!

Nope. I live in the Great White North since 1989 and have never owned one. Do have a good pair of x-country skis. I let the snow machines make the trail in to the lakes. I stay a lot warmer skiing. Someone in there always has a fancy power auger and glad to show it off punching holes for me.

We rented sleds from Two Top few years back. Good experience all around with them though most of their business is with the park, so not sure their inventory of "regular" sleds and not the Cadillacs that meet the park's noise and emissions requirements.

Nope. I live in the Great White North since 1989 and have never owned one. Do have a good pair of x-country skis. I let the snow machines make the trail in to the lakes. I stay a lot warmer skiing. Someone in there always has a fancy power auger and glad to show it off punching holes for me.
Good for you ... but not a helpful response to Elkwhisper.

As I believe I mentioned in an earlier thread.... my daughter drew a West Yellowstone buffalo tag.

We have been busy with other tags so far, but with the snow flying and the season opening next week it is time to get serious about planning. I have scouted all the likely areas throughout the summer and feel pretty familiar with the area. Just waiting for some more snow a this point to push them out of the park.

Was planning on renting snowmobiles, but thought maybe there is someone in the Bozeman or West area that might have one or a couple that we could work a trade on for use. I am lucky enough to work in an industry that provides me with all the optics a guy could want or use... I have a pile of brand new stuff in my office that I would just assume give to a fellow huntalker if they can help with a little snow transport.

Know it's a long shot as nobody wants to loan equipment out, but I can't imagine the groomed trails arround West pose much risk of catastrophic disaster. So..... if anyone wants to try and work a deal for some binos, scopes or rangefinders hit me up via a PM. I have a trailer if need be....

Any update? Hearing there are bison at Horse Butte.

Too much snow, the side-by-side's just sink. Good for trails but not to go making a new trail. I think we have too much snow now for them to be any good
Yeah, they are a lot better than wheels, but certainly not a replacement for a snowmobile.

We were over a couple weeks ago and ran into cows calves and a couple yearling bulls but the daughter is holding out for bull... at least so far. Need to get back there pretty quick.
Good luck to her. I had the tag last year and a lot of time and money to see one bull way inside the park. Looks like there has been 14 killed by hunters and 4 killed by cars this year.

Last year there was one of the 45 tags filled and they did not come out till end of March.

I would like a do over this year.

Last edited:
Good luck to her. I had the tag last year and a lot of time and money to see one bull way inside the park. Looks like there has been 14 killed by hunters and 4 killed by cars.

Last year there was one of the 45 tags filled and they did not come out till end of March.

I would like a do over this year.
That's heartbreaking...

Did you have any luck??

What’s the reasoning behind that? Seems dumb. A skidoo covers ground way faster then a quad with tracks ever will
I agree, but the trails down there close to atv/utv use on the last day of Nov and open for snowmobile use only on Dec 1st.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back