who else is seeing some really big bulls?

twodot

Don't know what is up with this. Couple of local groups of bulls have a few bulls that are totally dwarfing their companions. Big, big, racks that are looking to be fully formed while their herd mates are still obviously growing horn. Just seems like an unusual spread in the rate of growth. Got me wondering if these big boys shed earlier and thus have a few weeks more growth, or if they are just going to be that exceptional.
I know this thread is useless without pictures. Will throw camera in truck tomorrow on trip to town and see if I can show you what I mean.

Same story for a unit I've been scouting. Pulled trailcams I had out for about 2 wks and was speechless at a couple of them, unit looks like it could be on par with any in the country with all the moisture it's been getting. Now to see if I can get an arrow into one when the time comes...

Don't know what is up with this. Couple of local groups of bulls have a few bulls that are totally dwarfing their companions. Big, big, racks that are looking to be fully formed while their herd mates are still obviously growing horn. Just seems like an unusual spread in the rate of growth. Got me wondering if these big boys shed earlier and thus have a few weeks more growth, or if they are just going to be that exceptional.
I know this thread is useless without pictures. Will throw camera in truck tomorrow on trip to town and see if I can show you what I mean.

looking forward to pics
we had the same here in the southern hemisphere,,a big red stag almost fully formed six weeks before the norm

I've witnessed similar things with mule deer in my region this year. One group I see on my way to work is nearly fully developed with a 4x4 frame and others just a few miles away are still just little 2-3" nubs that you can barely see.

Wondering if you all think the warm winter made it easier on those guys? I know last spring in Montana everything looked pretty ragged after the cold, snowy winter we had, but this year everything has looked pretty darned healthy even before the warm summer weather rolled in.

Well of course I drove through there this morning and never saw an elk.
From some of the responses I guess others have seen the same thing though.

kiwi, any idea why that red stag was so far ahead of his fellows in development?

NKQ, these breaks elk did winter pretty well this past season and all are showing good growth due to plenty of green hillsides this summer. But, I don't think that would explain why two of the bulls are sporting racks that look like early September horn and the rest show racks that plainly have several weeks of growing left.

I can't say for sure how soon a bull begins growing new antler after the old is shed, but am wondering if they dropped 4-5 weeks ahead of their herd mates and thus have had more time to grow this season.
Miller???

kiwi, any idea why that red stag was so far ahead of his fellows in development?(quote)

no explanation at all

All the pics showing on on HT looks like it's been a great growth year for animals out there. Can't wait to get out and see for myself in Oct. looking forward to it. I am not sure what would cause the big difference in antler growth like you have explained.

I've witnessed this also with whitetails. Lots of rain here also.

Going to be a great fall....

I'll see if I can get some pics of the elk around Yellowstone for you guys soon just for fun and comparison. This guy was pretty epic--this was actually a February camping trip in the park, he was on the way back out to Gardiner (dry, dry, dry)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 12.56.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 12.56.56 PM.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 627
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 12.56.39 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 12.56.39 PM.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 623
I'll see if I can get some pics of the elk around Yellowstone for you guys soon just for fun and comparison. This guy was pretty epic--this was actually a February camping trip in the park, he was on the way back out to Gardiner (dry, dry, dry)

Nice Bull!, I've seen a few MONSTERS out here in AZ so far this summer. Can't wait for November!!!!

Saw a group of seven bulls Sunday morning at the north end of Idaho unit 45. Most of the bulls seemed to have fully formed antlers already. Maybe it was all the rain we got in May greening the area up. Two pretty nice bulls!

The elk in RMNP were up at 11,000 and above on Trail Ridge Road over 4th of July.

10986939_10207085189156814_1612882484684898329_o.jpg

11695476_10207086383226665_5042937374860600351_n.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back