Who eats rabbits and who eats squirrels ?

Moosie

Grand poopa
I don't think I know anyone in Idaho that would even think about it.... But ALOT of people do..... DO YOU ?!?!?

I have eaten rabbit and squirrel both when we were back east. Of the two, I prefer squirrel. Squirrel is very good eating and every Thanksgiving we had a separate entre of squirrel with the traditional turkey. Squirrel is very good. I have not had it since we came west.

I have eaten jackrabbit in mexican food(burito) but didnt know what it was till after I ate it... good thing to cause it was pretty good...

Delw

I've been thinging seriously about shooting a couple of these little red squirrels we have out here and giving them a try...
Any ideas on the cooking. Nothing fancy. I may even try just poking a stick thru them and roasting them, with a little salt and pepper even the neighbor hood pets are good... :D :D

Squirrels and cottontails are quite delicious and I welcome every chance I get to eat them. Vipe has a couple of recipe's that I just love for them. I will ask Vipe to post them for you Elkchsr!

We usually pass up on the red squirrels here because the grey's and fox squirrels have much more meat.

Squirrel season is the first season that opens here in August for critters that are table fare.

:D

I eat all the rabbits I can put in the freezer, about 75 to 80.

If the population is down around here I make several trips to MT to shoot them. In MT they are considered varmints, so no license, no limit. Wyoming they are classified as small game and you have to have a license to shoot them.

I fix them any way you can fix chicken. MOF I haven't bought a chicken in years.

Russ, place them in the oven with Shake & Bake for an easy recipe.

Never tried the red squirrels though. The grays back east are of good size and good eating.

Do eat rabbit....but never could make myself eat a squirrel.

What does a squirrel look like after you skin it........a RAT :eek:

Another way is to fry it up with tomatoe sauce and mushrooms.

I think it would be good on the smoker also then add a little bbq sauce and have a squirrel bbg sandwhich.

That is sounding way to good guy's. I will have to check out the regs and see if squirrel is leagal right now. I have a 22 and know how to use it. Also have a smoker... :D

Cottontail rabbit is good fried or grilled, the same way you'd cook chicken. I've never eaten squirrel or jackrabbit. My Dad always said you could get tularemia (sp?) from jacks. I don't know if that's true, but I've heard it from several people.

I like cottontail rabbits cooked like chicken too. Squirrels are fun to hunt sitting by a tree with a 22 and waiting for them to come out, but they don't have much meat and I don't like the taste so I quit hunting them. I remember as a kid eating some killed by a shotgun and you really have to watch for pellets then. Jackrabbits taste like mud to me, some people here say they like them but I never actually saw them eat one and I did I would check if they smile when eating one or not.

CALIF HUNTER
COTTON TAILS AN JACKS GET THAT
WHEN YOU COOK THE RABBIT IT KILLS THE VIRUS AN THE ONLY THING I EAT OUT OF A JACK IS THE BACK STRAPS AN LOVE TO SMOKE THEM

I was always told that jacks were terrible. Seems like that has just been disproved.

Squirrels out here are rather small but back east they were like a friggin cat.

I wonder if some of the bad taste from some of these critters is because of not getting the heat out of the meat very quickly. This in my book seem to be what really wipes out the flavor of most animals and in short time, will aquire that nasty taste of some thing that is in the process of beeing soured.... :D

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back