PEAX Equipment

Whitetails in North Park?

Bigjay73

Wife and I are on our annual moose trip, we come up and spend a weekend watching them in the fall, and spotted a herd of whitetails. I have never seen any WT west of I25, are they common in this area? We see elk, MD and pronghorn all day long up here, never a single WT.

Check out this thread.

It’s funny you posted that, because I was coming here to expand on that thread. So it turns out the outfit run by that same kid’s family - who saw the whitetail in Maybell- had a client kill a buck there last fall.

Not sure how that works legally, but I sure wouldn’t mind if we had some around here.

There are white tails along the eagle river in Gypsum. I think the normal deer tags can be used for both white tail and muley throughout the state but the white tail specific tags can only be used on white tail. Don’t take that for gospel but pretty sure that’s the case across the state.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe there are species specific tags but only for a few units. Most units are antlered or non -antlered.

There are white tails along the eagle river in Gypsum. I think the normal deer tags can be used for both white tail and muley throughout the state but the white tail specific tags can only be used on white tail. Don’t take that for gospel but pretty sure that’s the case across the state.
Spot on

It was pretty cool to see. Hopefully seeing WT expand their territory is a good thing.
Added bonus, saw a huuuuge bull moose over by Walden.

WTs west if I 25 are no bueno for mule deer plain and simple. In fact, Ft Carson, with CPW, has effectively eradicated them via "C" (unlimited) tags.

This thread is so funny to see. Took my bow for an armed hike this archery season in that area. Ran into this doe and fawns just south of Walden near the state park. Sure surprised me cause I had no clue they were in that area.BD01E8F2-1845-43AD-8FFA-3D3704A0D562.jpegF350850D-3BF3-4FC4-804C-0224C5C8E00D.jpeg

Western Bighorns (Wyoming) ranchers would ask you to kindly burn down the whitetails now before they further dampen mule deer populations.

I remember seeing whitetails all through Middle Park, along the Williams Fork and Fraser Rivers 20+ years ago. Sometimes in decent-sized herds. Back then DOW wasn’t happy about it and wanted them removed. Sounds like that hasn’t changed.
I wonder if WT prefer the habitat found on private land too much for there to be much that can be done to control the numbers.

I wonder if WT prefer the habitat found on private land too much for there to be much that can be done to control the numbers.

Given that most of the river bottoms are private, I think that statement is probably accurate to some extent.

Though also if CPW wanted to actually eliminate them they’d issue OTC, “C” tags with extended seasons.

I remember seeing whitetails all through Middle Park, along the Williams Fork and Fraser Rivers 20+ years ago. Sometimes in decent-sized herds. Back then DOW wasn’t happy about it and wanted them removed. Sounds like that hasn’t changed.
There was a CPW manager in Hot Sulphur Springs for many years who liked to hunt whitetails. He had no interest in doing anything to control their numbers like issuing C list licenses. I think he recently retired, so might be worth another ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back