Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Whitetails and .300 Win Mag

ElkHunter11

I typically hunt whitetails with my 7mm-08 with 139 grain bullets. However, I don't think I'm going to have enough time to hit the range before I go hunting to ensure it's still on. So, my question to you is- do you think a .300 win mag with 180 grain trophy bonded tip is too much for a whitetail? I know my .300 is dead on, which is why I'm contemplating using it. In this scenario, would you take the time from work to hit the range with the 7mm-08 and use that, or just use the .300 win? Typical range for my hunts vary from 100 to 200 yards.

Heck yea, the 300 is fine. You will get demerits here for not having that 7-08 ready. TIC ; )

300win works as well on whitetails as it does on anything else, and isn't necessarily too much for them. In my experience they tend to be pretty rough on whitetails within 200 yards or so, with impressive exits depending on bullet and quite a bit of bloodshot, but not so much that it shouldn't be used. Lots of variables at play there though, so use it and good luck. Best way to find that info is in the field.

Happy hunting

I deer hunt with my 300 WBY a bit because my shots can be long. I like it because the bullet is heavy enough to buck the wind a bit.

I've used my .300 RUM on deer before. Killed a nice muley at like 60 yards a couple of years ago. With a good bullet that doesn't blow up at high velocity they'll never know what hit them.

I shot a whitetail with a .338 pushing a 200 grain superformance. The shot was not "perfect" (a little low and back) but it knocked the deer down as if I would have shot him between the eyeballs....haha. No meat was ruined but If i would have hit him elsewhere I may not have been able to say that. If you feel comfortable and confident with this gun then have at it and pick you shot. You will be in great shape.

The 300 will work fine. The only issues I've experienced is that sometimes your bullet will zip rip through the deer without opening up (unless you hit bone, shoulder, etc). This may result in a little bit of tracking.

The 300 will work fine. The only issues I've experienced is that sometimes your bullet will zip rip through the deer without opening up (unless you hit bone, shoulder, etc). This may result in a little bit of tracking.

This has been my experience as well with the .300 Win on whitetails in here NC and SC.

This is the reason I only shoot Barnes TSX bullets. They are designed to open fast but only to the end of the petals, or solid main core. I shoot a super hot load with the 180 gr. and it performed perfectly at every range from 60 yds. to 500.

Thats a pretty standard cartridge up here in Saskatchewan. I see no problem using it, if you trust the rifle and know its on, thats a huge boost of confidence when making a kill shot.

Thats a pretty standard cartridge up here in Saskatchewan. I see no problem using it, if you trust the rifle and know its on, thats a huge boost of confidence when making a kill shot.

In AK, too. Our Kodiak deer's body size is similar to average whitetail's. As has been said, use a well constructed bullet for minimal meat damage. I've killed a number of deer with a 338 Win Mag using 250 gr Partitions and been satisfied with the results.

I like to check my zero every year with all my rifles. I wouldn't hunt without checking my scope, regardless of it being on when I put it up from last season.

I've used my 300 RUM for whitetail quite a bit. Shoot in the lungs behind the front shoulders and you shouldn't waste any meat. Good luck season starts here in Mo in ten days.

I have killed a lot of deer with a 300. I cant remember one moving much after the shot.

Thanks all for the advice- looks like I will end up using the .300. Y'all eased my mind about it not being too much gun. I will re-post later with a hopeful success picture.

Good luck. You should have no problems with the 300. Stay with the lungs and off the shoulders and you shouldn't waste much meat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back