PEAX Equipment

White Sulphur elk part II

300stw

son and I went back to white sulphur to try and solve the riddle of public land elk hunting over there,,,,,

archery season a bust never heard an elk, 1st week of rifle lots of miles on the mules and on foot never seen a bull, son didnt want to shoot a cow,,,

so wednesday we decided to go back for the last 4 days, easy hunt my son says, lets stay in a motel , forget the wall tent and mules this time, ok with me,

wednesday night lots of elk on private, weather getting colder, thursday morning damn cold, up at 4 a.m , thank goodness for a plug in for the old chevy diesel, walked into a bma way before daylight , froze our faces, lots of elk, most of the bunch stay on wrong side of fence bulls included, son wasnt ready to shoot a cow yet, walk back to the truck and amazed at all he vehicles parked around watching but no one walking,,,,

went and took a nap, thursday afternoon drive out to some stateland and bma's that we had never been to,

lots of elk on private, 100 here , 300 there got tired of counting, seen lots of people driving around with whole elk in there trucks, gotta figure that one out,

set up on the edge of private and state and start waiting, bout 4:30 here come the elk, damn a big bunch of elk are noisy, over 300, 1 6 point bull, 1 rag horn and 17 spikes, 200 yards from the fence and getting dark, 10 minutes before shooting time here comes another set of elk, big dark brown cow leading the way, i tell my son let a bunch jump the fence and come closer then shoot the big dark cow and i will shoot another cow,

bout then i start thinking about common sense , way below zero, bout dark, 2 miles to the truck, and 3 mule deer bucks in the freezer plus half a 4h hog,

look at my son and say shes 389 yards shoot here thru both front shoulders so she cant go anywhere, IM NOT SHOOTING ONE, 1 shot 7 mag with a 160 accubond, cow never left her tracks, elk milling all around and the kid is very happy and saying a prayer,,,,

any way 3 hours later back at the truck, boned her out, took the heart also,, half an elk in each pack,
at the truck my ears were hurting very badly, son says "your whole head is covered in ice"

didnt put a hat on in bottom of pack under meat, looks like i will be missing a small part of an ear in the coming days

we took out her ivories , they were barely above the gum line, and virtually no fat on her back, i think she was an older cow, will see when we fire up the grill,
it appears late season pretty easy to kill a cow, the upcoming shoulder seasons in the area, i wonder how many cows will be taken, herd composition not very many bulls compared to all the cows we saw, dont know what is going on there,

Attachments

• 12278875_1138040512881768_7190327286827615673_n.jpg
    12278875_1138040512881768_7190327286827615673_n.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 890
Good job on the elk. He will get a bull next year with that patience and dedication.

Good job. It will be interesting to see how the shoulder season works out up there.

Congrats on the successful hunt! I'm betting you got a 2.5 year-old based on the picture and the description of the ivories. It doesn't look like an older cow to me. I think you're in for some fine meals.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newhunter2
Back