Which would you pick

Miller8812

Hey guys , me and 3 or 4 buddies are planning our first elk hunting trip, we were debating archery OTC tags in Colorado, or general rifle tags in Montana. What would you do and why?

Montana, you'd basically have about six weeks of hunting season to plan when you'd want to hunt!

I would take Montana and get the combo so you can have a deer tag too. I haven't done that yet but am looking at it for when my son gets older (over 10 years away! haha). I have done OTC archery in Colorado and had fun there too, so I imagine either choice will be fun for you.

Colorado, more public land to hunt. I have done 5 DIY hunts in Colorado. Was into elk every trip but one. Hunted the same area each time. GET IN SHAPE>.

CO. MT is in the process of killing all of their elk. By the time you guys get to hunt, there won't be any elk left on public ground. I'm pretty sure since you're reading this on the internet, its a fact :) LOL

Between the two, I'd chose another option, like a first season rifle tag in Colorado that requires 0 preference points. Elk hunting in Montana can be challenging, you are looking at 3% chance of killing an elk in Montana for the first time. I heard that from a friend, but seems pretty accurate. Like the EL Unit said, Colorado has 275,000 elk in a much smaller area, than Montana which has about 150,000 over a much larger difficult area. I've hunted both states about six-10 times each, and for just getting an opportunity to see elk Colorado wins. I'd would also consider another option than a OTC archery tag, it can get very crowded during the archery season in Colorado. Good luck and review the online state management websites for herd info.

Between the two, I'd chose another option, like a first season rifle tag in Colorado that requires 0 preference points. Elk hunting in Montana can be challenging, you are looking at 3% chance of killing an elk in Montana for the first time. I heard that from a friend, but seems pretty accurate. Like the EL Unit said, Colorado has 275,000 elk in a much smaller area, than Montana which has about 150,000 over a much larger difficult area. I've hunted both states about six-10 times each, and for just getting an opportunity to see elk Colorado wins. I'd would also consider another option than a OTC archery tag, it can get very crowded during the archery season in Colorado. Good luck and review the online state management websites for herd info.

We were under the impression all of first rifle season tags were draw?

They are draw, but that doesn't mean you can't draw them on your first try.

We were under the impression all of first rifle season tags were draw?

Yes, all the first rifle season tags are a draw. But some units can be drawn every year with zero preference points (the first year you apply). You just have to look at the odds and figure out which units those are and which one you want to hunt. Then apply in the draw. I believe the deadline for the CO draw is in April if I remember correctly.

I chose MT because of the flexibility of the license. Our schedule didn’t lend itself to the CO season dates and travel.

We spent 4 days hunting first rifle season this year in Western Colorado. We saw elk every morning and every evening of that Colorado hunt.
I saw 3 cow elk on public land during rifle season in MT this year. They were not in the unit where my elk b tag was valid.

So we were leaning heavily towards Montana for the fact of less pressure and being able to hunt multiple species, but now you guys are making me wonder if we should be looking harder at Colorado. Are Muleys somewhat plentiful in SW Montana? We figured if we went with deer elk and wolf tags our chance of being successful would be higher. I want to do a bow hunt while the other guys are hesitant. I’m hoping that if we go while they are bugling we can increase our chances of encounters.

Yes, all the first rifle season tags are a draw. But some units can be drawn every year with zero preference points (the first year you apply). You just have to look at the odds and figure out which units those are and which one you want to hunt. Then apply in the draw. I believe the deadline for the CO draw is in April if I remember correctly.

Good info, thank you!

Don't leave Idaho out of this conversation.... we have elk and deer and bear and wolves and turkey and quail and grouse all open at the same time in every over the counter elk tag here, and plenty of opportunity if you get off the road. Good luck on choosing.
Matt

Don't leave Idaho out of this conversation.... we have elk and deer and bear and wolves and turkey and quail and grouse all open at the same time in every over the counter elk tag here, and plenty of opportunity if you get off the road. Good luck on choosing.
Matt

Good to know thanks!

So we were leaning heavily towards Montana for the fact of less pressure and being able to hunt multiple species, but now you guys are making me wonder if we should be looking harder at Colorado. Are Muleys somewhat plentiful in SW Montana? We figured if we went with deer elk and wolf tags our chance of being successful would be higher. I want to do a bow hunt while the other guys are hesitant. I’m hoping that if we go while they are bugling we can increase our chances of encounters.

I wouldn’t bank on SW MT for deer, we saw very few bucks and what we did see were small. The private hay fields are loaded with critters but you won’t get permission to shoot one, that’s why they are there. I also wouldn’t waste any money on a wolf tag, spend that money on bear spray! You are more likely to see griz over a wolf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back