Which would you pick out of the "Super Seven"?

If you were to win, which would you pick?

• Chugach Mountain Goat

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Alaska Range Caribou

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • Unimak Island Brown Bear

Votes: 24 16.8%
  • Delta Bison

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • Nunivak Island Muskox

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Afognak Island Roosevelt Elk

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Alaska Range Dall Sheep

Votes: 61 42.7%

• Total voters

SD_Prairie_Goat

From Alaska Fish and Game:

Hunters, what’s on your bucket list?
Alaska’s Super Seven raffle is your chance to win one of the most sought-after hunts in Alaska: Lucky winners may hunt for Chugach Mountain Goat • Alaska Range Caribou • Unimak Island Brown Bear • Delta Bison • Nunivak Island Muskox • Afognak Island Roosevelt Elk • Alaska Range Dall Sheep
Find all the details here: https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...
Get all the details and purchase tickets at AlaskaSuper7Raffle.com

I mean dang, that's a hard choice, I think I'd either go Bison or Muskox, probably leaning more towards Muskox

Agree, tough choice. Delta bison for hundreds of pounds of meat or Dall sheep because I'll never afford the cost to hunt on myself.
See there's so much to go into this.

Are you after tons of tasty meat?

Going after an expensive animal?

Hardest to Draw?

A guy can dream

Boy, that was tough. I ruled out the sheep/goat because of not being in shape for it. Caribou was out because of migrations and chances of finding the "big one". Elk, not really interested. Brown bear would be cool but no meat and a HUGE taxidermy bill. That leaves bison and muskox. Muskox would also be more of a taxidermy bill because I don't know if it would look worth a darn without being a full body mount. So I went Bison, with a head mount for the wall and all that meat! I never win anything anyway, so it's all a guess.

NR still are required to hire a guide for bear, goat and sheep. :)

Goat, sheep, bou and bison are road accessible. The rest cost a lot of money in logistics and bare costs would run you $2-6k just to get to the destination. No free lunch in AK.

One one of those interest me.

These won't sell that well, but time will tell. They will likely bring more than they do at auction though. The sheep tag sold for like $15,000 a few years ago, same as most of the rest of them. The guide requirement is keeping them from making any real money. Could you imagine a sheep/goat/bear tag with no guide requirement at $20 a ticket? That's a one of a kind hunt and they would sell tons of tickets. I talked to a couple senators, members of various orgs etc about getting that through. No one wanted to touch it, even if it was for just one tag a year per species.

Good luck if you apply. I think I'm in for $100.

Musk ox is a dicey hunt. Weather and animals often don't cooperate. I would go for either dall sheep or caribou. Probably the latter because typically see a lot of animals. Sheep hunt is usually the best scenery. Absolutely no interest in shooting a brown bear or crawling through a rain forest jungle after Roosevelt elk.

I could’ve swore last year when I did this drawing, moose was an option. I wonder what they replaced it with, either elk or bison I’m pretty sure. Musk ox for me though.

One one of those interest me.
2 (maybe 3, although I fear my goat hunting days may be behind me), but…

The guide requirement is keeping them from making any real money. Could you imagine a sheep/goat/bear tag with no guide requirement at $20 a ticket?

1000%. I would buy a number or tickets if this was the case. As it is, if I ever go on a Dall hunt (and I still plan to), whatever the actual ADFG sheep tag costs won’t be a factor in the decision.

Some of the best tags in NA right there. I would be torn between the bison and the Dall.

I would go for either dall sheep or caribou. Probably the latter because typically see a lot of animals.
That caribou tag is not a slam dunk. Its about 50% success and about 1/2 of the tag holders actually hunt it due to costs and logistics. Its not a migration hunt, the animals don't move very far from summer to winter range, 20-30 miles at most. The herd is like 2400 animals in about 5,000 square miles. A giant or two is taken out of there every year, but mostly just by luck. There are nice bulls if you know where and get the right flight booked.

Since thdrawing is after the statewide draw results in February, you'll be hooped trying to get a flight, all the good spots will be booked up for sheep and bou.

The sheep population tanked in Tok last year, but to the north where the sheep tag is for, faird a bit better, but this winter will be rough in the DCUA. Sad deal they can't catch a break. On the other side of the AK near Denali they got several feet of snow in some places. I saw reports of up to 7.

I’m in for sheep. I’ll worry about the guide cost if I end up winning. I need a guide for all the hunts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back