Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which week for MT whitetails on BMA?

When would you hunt Montana Block Management for whitetail bucks?

• Opening Week (Oct 22-28)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Third Week of Nov (Nov 12-18)

Votes: 18 81.8%

• Total voters

rmyoung1

I know there's a lot of justified angst about Montana hunting right now. But I don't really want to get into the weeds of that with this thread. I'm weighing my options for Montana deer in 2022, and I'd like to poll the audience. The deal is that I have a friend traveling from out of state to Montana in 2022. Our desire is to spend the better part of a week hunting whitetails. We will target some Block Management properties, most likely. My dilemma is choosing the "right" week to hunt. Part of me thinks that opening week would be best since these BMAs naturally tend to see some hunting pressure and hunting early might be better. The other part of me thinks that waiting until the bucks start rutting might bring some out of the woodwork and provide additional opportunities for my traveling friend.

Which week should we hunt?

I’ve had family/friends come to hunt here every year for the last 10 years and this question always comes up. The answer, based on the success of our hunts would suggest more and bigger deer are taken at the end of the season. There are some great whitetails on some of the bma’s in the areas people traditionally go to look for mule deer.

This is a 100% honest answer: If I had to choose, I'd choose later in the season but that's largely due to seasonal conditions rather than deer behavior. I don't think "hunting the rut" is necessarily any more effective than opening week, if you're willing to alter tactics like, 25%. That 25% is going to be mostly walking, but I digress.

"Hunting the rut" is in quotes because I'm not even convinced the rut is consistently under way during those two weeks between Vets Day and Thanksgiving. Where I live in MT, you don't see muleys getting stupid until December is knocking on the door, and then through almost to Jan 1. So results may differ, blah blah blah. That doesn't even take into account how the deer are shifting their rut activity to night with the warmer than average seasons. I think this is occurring in the east, too.

When can your friend come out, and when it's going to potentially be the opportunity for the most fun and adventure? Plan for that, then pick an area you think has good whitetail hunting that season. I spent this past season hunting whitetails in the thick timber in the high mountains of central MT - unexpectedly thrilling. Would recommend.

If you are solely looking to shoot a buck, 3rd week November. My whitetail hunting is all on private. By mid November, I see a buck or more every day. During archery and early in general, I may see a single buck in a week.

If 'the experience' is your goal, my answer would be different depending on what you are after.

Later is going to be better. The rut will have started already and might be petering off but later into the season is when you are going to find most of those bucks doing the most cruising because they are looking for those does that haven’t cycled yet

If I was going to Montana for white tails (which might be what I do next year) I’d go roughly November 5-10th . The seeking will be in full swing and they’ll be cruising all hours of the day . Good luck . Never thought I’d go to Montana for white tails but since the mule deer are almost extinct it’s about the only option anymore

Back