Which Tripod Should I Buy (Poll)

Which Tripod Should I Buy

• Total voters

Flatlander3

I know there are many many tripod threads, but I am overwhelmed by the vast variety of tripods and heads. Can you help provide some input on the ones I have pinned down so far? I am newer with tripods, and will be using it with binoculars for antelope and mule deer, but eventually with a spotter. I am not set in any of these and would like to spend less than $150, but when I first started looking and researching I thought I could get a good one for $50. Everything I have read, people frown upon under $100 tripods, due to just spending more one a different one in the future. If it is a really good bang for the buck, i wouldn't be against up to $200. Any fluid head recommendations for 50$ or under +/- for the tripods without a head? Also, I have seen the all the brands, but particular models would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
I had a Vortex Summit SSP for about 4 years and hated it the whole time. I finally replaced it with a Slik 634CF with a Benro S2 head, which has been great so far. Under $150, I think the Slik Sprints are pretty good, I’ve used a friend’s and liked it.

The Vortex tripods are not very good. Look at the compact carbon fiber one from Field Optics Research with the head of your choice. Lightweight and pretty well built.

Lots of fine options there...another you might toss in the running is the Manfrotto BeFree Live Aluminum that comes with a head. Leans on your budget at $189 but gets good marks.

The vortex summit I was using last season was no better than resting my binos on top of a shooting stick. You need to have some weight in your tripod if you plan to be behind the glass most of the day.

I had a Vortex Summit SSP for about 4 years and hated it the whole time. I finally replaced it with a Slik 634CF with a Benro S2 head, which has been great so far. Under $150, I think the Slik Sprints are pretty good, I’ve used a friend’s and liked it.

^^on a budget this some great advise.

I second the Slik 634CF I have used it for two seasons now and it's gone through some abuse but is still perfectly fine. I run the Sirui VA-5 which pairs well with it. Majority of use is with my 12x50 binos and a 65mm spotter. It can be a little shaky with a big spotter on it but if you get it low and try not to bump it much when glassing it works pretty well. It also doubles as great shooting sticks by throwing my scope sleeve over the tripod head I can have a very solid shooting platform. I used it on a sheep hunt recently and found its size and weight nice for a pack.

Lots of fine options there...another you might toss in the running is the Manfrotto BeFree Live Aluminum that comes with a head. Leans on your budget at $189 but gets good marks.
I ended up going with the Sirui T-004SK Aluminum Tripod w/ VA-5 Head. They have a 15% rebate right now. It arrives Friday, hope it lives up to the great reviews

I have a Slik Sprint Mini. At some point I should upgrade the head. That’s my only complaint with it.

I really like the Slik 340. It's not really tall enough to stand with unless you're using an angled spotter, but I really like it otherwise and it isn't too expensive. I've got 2 of them now, my 1st is an EZ model with what I think is a 707E head, although it's an Arca Swiss plate, not a Slik plate which was/is a Sportsmans Warehouse exclusive offer. With this setup I can still use my other Arca plates as well as mount my camera on it with the Peak Design plate. My other tripod is currently wearing an Amazon special ballhead (also Arca compatible), and so far I'm actually preferring this head to the stock panhead on the EZ. I think both sets of legs may be wearing new ballheads before this season.

I ended up going with the Sirui T-004SK Aluminum Tripod w/ VA-5 Head. They have a 15% rebate right now. It arrives Friday, hope it lives up to the great reviews
It just arrived and I can now see why the prices are so expensive. I wasn't expecting this nice of quality. Very nice set up package.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back